Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Have possibility to order several spare SM furling motors from Emerson - seeking other interested owners

Mark Erdos

I have to agree with Bob and Ann,

There is not much that can go wrong with an electric motor that can’t be fixed. We had our furling motor repaired. We thought it was burned out completely. We abused it badly when we first owned the boat (you don’t want to know). We have since learned to respect it. Electric motor repair shops are everywhere. The repair for ours was about $200. Works perfectly! The fact we have an manual back up confirms for me,  if I’m going to spend $750 on a spare part, it should be something I just can’t live without.

Best regards,

Mark

SM2K #275

www.creampuff.us

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of Bob Parry
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 7:11 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Have possibility to order several spare SM furling motors from Emerson - seeking other interested owners

Our boat is a 1990 SM and we still have the original motors. They have been repaired a few times and we recently had the main furler repaired here in Brisbane. A good auto-electrician should be able to fix the motors at a fraction of the cost of new ones. We bought two replacements from Amel in 2010 when we were leaving the Med to head to Australia. I don't have the invoice here so I can't remember the cost. They did need to be rewired to allow us to fit the waterproof covers and our auto-electrician here did that (we have never used them). In an emergency, it is possible to furl manually and it is also possible to rig a manual out-haul - we have done this a couple of times.

Bob and Ann Parry

SM#33 "Nowornot"

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Alexandre Uster von Baar <uster@...> wrote:

Ho that one!
Let me look at the pictures I took when I rebuilt it, if it is the same, I might be interested. Please give me a day or 2!
Sincerely, Alexandre

--------------------------------------------
On Mon, 2/24/14, atioceania@... <atioceania@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Have possibility to order several spare SM furling motors from Emerson - seeking other interested owners
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Monday, February 24, 2014, 2:55 PM

Alexandre,
This is the motor for the outhaul and in-mast
furler on the mainsail. My understanding is that they are
the same on an SM and
SM2K.RegardsScott and

DianeSV Ati SM202

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.