Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] RE: winterizing Amels

john martin <symoondog@...>

Alan, I changed the heading to reflect the subject. You are right about the sea chest. One of the main purposes of it is to clean the engines, a/c, toilets and pumps and hoses. I pour sew-clean or any drain cleaner in the sea chest to flush and leave in the hoses and toilets while away. In cold weather I use a solution of antifreeze also to leave in the pumps and hoses of the gen set and engine,and a/c units. When I see antifreeze coming out the exhaust it has to be in the whole system. Its a great way to solve all odor and bacterial problems.  John "Moon Dog"SM248

To: amelyachtowners@...
From: derickgates@...
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 13:30:09 -0800
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] RE: Hose diameters

Alan,
Can't you just close off the seawater input at the through-hull fitting and run fresh water (a hose) in the sea chest while running (sequentially) the engine; the generator; the A/C sytem; the dessalator (on very low pressure only); flushing the heads?  That should leave fresh water in all the long pipes too.   I have been doing this  procedure when I leave the boat for several months at a time.  The head can still be a little odorous, but is usually not too bad - probably depends most on when the exit hoses were last reamed out/cleaned.

I hope to install soon a timer and system-wide freshwater carbon filter (as others have) so that the RO membranes will be fresh water rinsed once a week too during those long absences.

Derick
SM2K Brava, #400
Currently at the Sapphire Beach Marina
St. Thomas, USVI