Re: Noisy outhaul drive on main boom

koenvelleman <no_reply@...>

The problem is the main shaft of the gear box, wich is of mild steel.
This shaft rust and the water sips in the gear box. I had good
results with high quality sea water resisting grease (locktite has a
good one), but at the end I choose to replace the shaft with a
stainless one, no more problems since then.
(any good machine shop can copy the shaft)

Koen

Flash V
--- In amelyachtowners@..., eric <kimberlite@o...> wrote:
Roy,

The winch is mounted to the boom.

It does not come off with the shaft.

Just remove the nut on the top of the arm which is attached to the
shaft on
top of the winch, and pound away with a sledge. You might bend a
bolt or two
as s/s is a little soft for hammering. Make sure you have a long
bolt for
this hammering.

Fair winds,

Eric