Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Range of AIS

Mark Erdos

Bob,

Also, does this take into consideration the splitter is “powered” as opposed to a non-powered splitter? The specs of the powered unit claim negligible insertion loss. I can’t imagine they could claim this with a  50% loss.

Best regards,

Mark

SM2K #275

www.creampuff.us

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of Patrick Mcaneny
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2014 7:34 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Range of AIS

Bob, That's interesting, I was told there would be a loss by the rep. for Garmin , approx. 2db, which was their argument for a dedicated antenna. I just did not and still don't understand why you have a loss assuming good connections and the antenna only servicing one unit at a time either vhf or ais.  Thanks, Pat

-----Original Message-----
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Sat, Mar 22, 2014 4:08 pm
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Range of AIS

Hi,
I'm new to this users group and joined to listen and learn all about the Amel's while my family and I search for a well-maintained used SM53 to buy and use in the Great Lakes.

Here's some theoretical numbers that I've calculated which may may be helpful in understanding what happens when using a 2-way splitter and a 3-way splitter:

2-way splitter...your theoretical insertion loss will be -3dB which is a 50% reduction.

3-way splitter...your theoretical insertion loss will be -4.77dB which is a 67% reduction.

best,
Bob

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.