Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel 54 and 55 measurements

Peter Forbes

Craig,

That is great data - thank you very much indeed - all carefully stored away - I’ll now have to really try for 9.5kts this season! Thank you for the challenge.

Best wishes

Peter
Peter Forbes
Carango Sailing Ketch

On 23 Mar 2014, at 14:50, sangaris@... wrote:

Peter et al,

That's 1.34 X Square Root of LWL(in feet), so the 55 "max" hull speed would be 9.4Kts and the 54 would be 9.5 kts.  That's using the Stationary water line - if you're heeled over the water line lengthens out to the Dynamic LWL so the 54's speed goes up to 9.5 kts.  I couldn't find a Dynamic LWL for the 55, but assume it would be longer (faster) than the 54.
Also, that abbreviation Lh that Peter mentioned is likely Hull Length, not LWL.  Looks like the boat names "Amel 54" and "Amel 55" came from the Hull length rounded up to the next foot.  Anyway, here's a buncha numbers from the Amel website in both Metric and Imperial units.
Enjoy!
Craig - sv/ Sangaris, SN#68

Amel 55Amel 54
Per Specifications on Amel website:MFt & InMFt & In
LOA17.356' 9.1"17.256' 5.2"
Hull Length16.7454' 11.1"16.453' 9.7"
Stationary LWL14.8548' 8.6"13.7545' 1.3"
Dynamic LWL15.3550' 4.3"
Beam4.9916' 4.5"4.815' 9"
Width at Water Line4.1413' 7"4.815' 9"
Draft2.27' 2.6"2.16' 10.7"
Height from water line21.369' 10.6"nana
Weight, unloaded21.5tna
Displacement with full load24tna
Theoretical "max" hull speed= 1.34 X Stationary LWL9.49.0
Theoretical "max" hull speed= 1.34 X Dynamic LWL9.5

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Very interesting - could someone remind me of the formula for Max Hull speed using the waterline length as the basis?

Peter
Peter Forbes
Carango Sailing Ketch

On 22 Mar 2014, at 17:07, sailormon <kimberlite@...> wrote: