Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

Sledge hammer???

/Annsofie
Lady Annila SM 232

Skickat från min iPad

28 mar 2014 kl. 18:50 skrev "Kent Robertson" <karkauai@...>:

Never heard of that product Mark, but I'll see if I can find it.  Soda blasting would only hot the surface, but maybe could help a bit at a time.
Keep those ideas coming!
Thanks,
Kent

On Mar 28, 2014, at 6:21 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Another thought. Since you are in a yard - soda blasting? It would be a mess to clean up but it would probably do the trick.

Mark
SM2K #275

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote:

Problem is getting the old one out of the chain locker.  It won't budge because it's all rusted together.  The limited access to the locker means the fix has to be chemical rather than mechanical. Acid would probably do it but fumes from muriatic acid would every toxic.  I soaked it vinegar for 24 hrs and no improvement.
Need some other suggestions.
Kent
SM243 Kristy
Tiger Point Boat Yard
Fernandina Beach FL

On Mar 28, 2014, at 3:30 PM, "haspeter.baettig" <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote:

Hi Kent
buy a new one, safety first
best regards
Hanspeter
Tamango 2 , SM #16
Krusadasi, Turkey
(actual with out twitter and youtube, mr erdogan, Prminister of Tukey is a littel bit angry :-)
I think to leave Turkey, Greek is only a few miles away

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 28.03.2014 um 20:03 schrieb <karkauai@...>:

I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker.  I've sprayed a ton of PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success.  Right now I'm soaking it in Vinegar.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Kent
SM 243 Kristy
Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL