Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Prop Shaft Electrolysis

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

Wow !!

That looks awful.

I use a galvanic isolator on my AC circuit and also have the pedestal turned on only one day a week. So far in 3 months in the marina in the Caribbean I have used one kilowatt of electric.

There is a small zinc on the line cutter, and of course the 2 big ones on the rudder.

I am very sorry for the condition of your prop shaft. I believe there should be a drawing of your c drive in the owners manual . I believe replacing the shaft is a big project. It is also possible that a neighbor is putting AC into the water.

Did you have the marina check your AC outlet on the pedestal and the water around your boat?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite SM 376

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of karkauai@...
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 3:01 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Prop Shaft Electrolysis

I have just hauled Kristy out to repaint the bottom after 2 1/2 years.  She's been sitting in the water in a marina at Brunswick GA for the last 2 years where I've hired a diver to clean the bottom and replace the zincs as needed every 4-6 weeks.  I was surprised to see no zinc on the prop when we hauled out, and dismayed to see severe electrolytic corrosion of the prop shaft when I started changing the seals. I posted a pic at the KristySM243 folder https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/photos/albums/948071197/lightbox/1877878820
I need advice on what is involved in removing the prop shaft.  Is it necessary to remove the bottom of the drive aft of the keel?
I guess I'm going to look into isolating the boat electrically.
Sigh,
Kent
SM243
Currently Tiger Point Marina, Fernandina Beach, FL

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.