Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

Kent,

I do remember having ¼ inch of battery acid in the battery box at one time. It did no harm to the fiberglass. However that is sulphuric acid and you would be using hydrochloric.

My only thought is to get a good respirator and a fan to blow air into the anchor locker and add pounds of borax near the drain of the anchor locker and a bunch in the bilge in the engine room. Then use the hydrochloric acid.

Last hope is to use a cutoff grinder and cut the ball into pieces small enough to come out of the entry port. If I had this problem I would probably just cut the chain up and get a new chain.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of Kent Robertson
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 8:34 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker

You mean keep it off of the hull?  Afraid there's no way to do that.

The battery compartment is fiberglass, too.  It's exposed to battery acid without problems.

Not sure what to think about that.

Thanks again, all ideas are appreciated.

Surely we have a chemist on the group???

Kent

On Mar 28, 2014, at 8:25 PM, sailormon <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Dilute hydrochloric acid works on rust if you can somehow isolate the liquid from the boat.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite SM 376

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of karkauai@...
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 3:04 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker

I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker.  I've sprayed a ton of PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success.  Right now I'm soaking it in Vinegar.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Kent
SM 243 Kristy
Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.