Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

Kent,

I do remember having ¼ inch of battery acid in the battery box at one time. It did no harm to the fiberglass. However that is sulphuric acid and you would be using hydrochloric.

My only thought is to get a good respirator and a fan to blow air into the anchor locker and add pounds of borax near the drain of the anchor locker and a bunch in the bilge in the engine room. Then use the hydrochloric acid.

Last hope is to use a cutoff grinder and cut the ball into pieces small enough to come out of the entry port. If I had this problem I would probably just cut the chain up and get a new chain.

Fair Winds

Eric