Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker

Roque

Since you are very experienced, I take it you have already tryed the obvious solutions with no sucess. So I took a chance with less usual methods.

Gear gun: not sure if it  will work in your particular case, but  I could once separate a few  parts "glued"  due to rust. Concentrade heat will dilate the pieces and eventuallly break a few links loose.

Electrolysis: it envolves putting the rust part into a Electrolyte solution, using a plastic container.
You will need a sacrifice metal and a battery.
If you think you have enough room for this, and if everything else fails, let me know and I will try to guide you. (I will have to find a way to do this in English!)

Em sexta-feira, 28 de março de 2014, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> escreveu:

What does everyone think about Hydrochloric acid?  No damage to the hull?  Fumes?  How to get rid of it afterward?

Not sure what the heat gun would do???

I don't understand what you're talking about with electrolysis?

Thanks, Roque,
Kent

On Mar 28, 2014, at 8:17 PM, Roque <ediroque@...> wrote:

Alternatives to think about:

1. Hydrochloric acid;

2. Heat gun;

3. Electrolysis (maybe you won't have enough room  for this)

Roque
S/Y Atica Amel 54

Em sexta-feira, 28 de março de 2014, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> escreveu:

Been there and done that.  Such a small access that I'm bruised on the arm and ribs from squeezing in there.
I hit the mass with a 5 lb hammer and nothing budges!
Keep em coming!
Kent

On Mar 28, 2014, at 7:16 PM, Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...> wrote:

Sledge hammer???

/Annsofie
Lady Annila SM 232

Skickat från min iPad

28 mar 2014 kl. 18:50 skrev "Kent Robertson" <karkauai@...>:

Never heard of that product Mark, but I'll see if I can find it.  Soda blasting would only hot the surface, but maybe could help a bit at a time.
Keep those ideas coming!
Thanks,
Kent

On Mar 28, 2014, at 6:21 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Another thought. Since you are in a yard - soda blasting? It would be a mess to clean up but it would probably do the trick.

Mark
SM2K #275

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote:

Problem is getting the old one out of the chain locker.  It won't budge because it's all rusted together.  The limited access to the locker means the fix has to be chemical rather than mechanical. Acid would probably do it but fumes from muriatic acid would every toxic.  I soaked it vinegar for 24 hrs and no improvement.
Need some other suggestions.
Kent
SM243 Kristy
Tiger Point Boat Yard
Fernandina Beach FL

On Mar 28, 2014, at 3:30 PM, "haspeter.baettig" <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote:

Hi Kent
buy a new one, safety first
best regards
Hanspeter
Tamango 2 , SM #16
Krusadasi, Turkey
(actual with out twitter and youtube, mr erdogan, Prminister of Tukey is a littel bit angry :-)
I think to leave Turkey, Greek is only a few miles away

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 28.03.2014 um 20:03 schrieb <karkauai@...>:

I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker.  I've sprayed a ton of PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success.  Right now I'm soaking it in Vinegar.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Kent
SM 243 Kristy
Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL

<