Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Digest Number 3386

karkauai

Thanks Danny, I'm looking for something like that now. Will probably have to use acid and a jack hammer.
Kent

On Mar 29, 2014, at 3:01 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,
I like the idea of what I call a jack hammer, you see them on road work sites. Not one that big but they come in all sizes. the smallest are electric and then you move up to air operated. I would go for the biggest you could fit through the locker door and use with one arm.
Hope you work it out OK
Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
From: Kent Robertson <karkauai@...>
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Saturday, 29 March 2014 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Digest Number 3386

I've looked at the local big box stores for a "chipper" or electric chisel, but haven't found anything. I'll look on line when I get home tomorrow.
Thanks again ,
Kent
Sent from my iPhone
On Mar 28, 2014, at 10:48 PM, Dennis Johns <sbmesasailor@...> wrote:

Do you have access to a tool rental shop? You might try to find an electric "chipper". It's a small, hand-held hammer that accepts various bits. Often used to remove tile from counters/floors. I know you said you have limited access but maybe you can use it with one hand and not have to do the swinging action with a mallet. Another idea is to not use your windlass to haul the chain out but use block and tackle back to your winch. Lifting the whole mass to the top of the chain locker and then dropping it a few times might break it up.

Dennis
sv Libertad
On Saturday, March 29, 2014 7:24 AM, "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
Amel Yacht Owners - Forum for owners of Amel sailboats Group
15 Messages Digest #3386
1a Feeling secure by gegcarter
1b Re: Feeling secure by "Kent Robertson" karkauai
1c Re: Feeling secure by "Ann-Sofie Svanberg" ladyannila
2a Prop Shaft Electrolysis by karkauai
2b Re: Prop Shaft Electrolysis by "sailormon" kimberlite1212
3a Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker by karkauai
3b Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker by "haspeter.baettig" hanspeterbaettig
3c Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker by "Kent Robertson" karkauai
3d Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker by "Mark Erdos" captain_cucumber_head
3e Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker by "Mark Erdos" captain_cucumber_head
3f Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker by "Kent Robertson" karkauai
3g Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker by "Ann-Sofie Svanberg" ladyannila
3h Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker by "Kent Robertson" karkauai
3i Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker by "Roque"
3j Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker by "Kent Robertson" karkauai
Messages
1a Feeling secure
Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:42 am (PDT) . Posted by: gegcarter
I have just posted photos of our new security system for the companionway. As you can see the feature can be used both when leaving the boat as a extra strength to locking the companionway and when inside the boat if you want air and wish to leave the companionway open but feel you are staying in perhaps a potentially unsafe anchorage. Arcglow in Almerimar (Spain) can be contacted by email, arcglow@..., if anyone is interested. Keith on Guma
Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (3) . Top ^
1b Re: Feeling secure
Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:44 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Kent Robertson" karkauai
That's a very creative way of solving that issue Keith. I'm impressed. Kent Sent from my iPhone > On Mar 28, 2014, at 10:42 AM, <gegcarter@...> wrote: > > I have just posted photos of our new security system for the companionway. As you can see the feature can be used both when leaving the boat as a extra strength to locking the companionway and when inside the boat if you want air and wish to leave the companionway open but feel you are staying in perhaps a potentially unsafe anchorage. > Arcglow in Almerimar (Spain) can be contacted by email, arcglow@..., if anyone is interested. > > Keith > on Guma > >
Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (3) . Top ^
1c Re: Feeling secure
Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:40 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Ann-Sofie Svanberg" ladyannila
Very nice done! What a good idea! But we can't figure out the lock solution. Can you post a better picture on that? Regards Annsofie & Jonas S/Y Lady Annila. SM 232 Skickat från min iPad > 28 mar 2014 kl. 10:42 skrev gegcarter@...: > > I have just posted photos of our new security system for the companionway. As you can see the feature can be used both when leaving the boat as a extra strength to locking the companionway and when inside the boat if you want air and wish to leave the companionway open but feel you are staying in perhaps a potentially unsafe anchorage. > Arcglow in Almerimar (Spain) can be contacted by email, arcglow@..., if anyone is interested. > > Keith > on Guma > >
Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (3) . Top ^
2a Prop Shaft Electrolysis
Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:00 pm (PDT) . Posted by: karkauai
I have just hauled Kristy out to repaint the bottom after 2 1/2 years. She's been sitting in the water in a marina at Brunswick GA for the last 2 years where I've hired a diver to clean the bottom and replace the zincs as needed every 4-6 weeks. I was surprised to see no zinc on the prop when we hauled out, and dismayed to see severe electrolytic corrosion of the prop shaft when I started changing the seals. I posted a pic at the KristySM243 folder https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/photos/albums/948071197/lightbox/1877878820 https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/photos/albums/948071197/lightbox/1877878820 I need advice on what is involved in removing the prop shaft. Is it necessary to remove the bottom of the drive aft of the keel? I guess I'm going to look into isolating the boat electrically. Sigh, Kent SM243 Currently Tiger Point Marina, Fernandina Beach, FL
Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (2) . Top ^
2b Re: Prop Shaft Electrolysis
Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:24 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "sailormon" kimberlite1212
Wow !! That looks awful. I use a galvanic isolator on my AC circuit and also have the pedestal turned on only one day a week. So far in 3 months in the marina in the Caribbean I have used one kilowatt of electric. There is a small zinc on the line cutter, and of course the 2 big ones on the rudder. I am very sorry for the condition of your prop shaft. I believe there should be a drawing of your c drive in the owners manual . I believe replacing the shaft is a big project. It is also possible that a neighbor is putting AC into the water. Did you have the marina check your AC outlet on the pedestal and the water around your boat? Fair Winds Eric Kimberlite SM 376 From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of karkauai@... Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 3:01 PM To: amelyachtowners@... Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Prop Shaft Electrolysis I have just hauled Kristy out to repaint the bottom after 2 1/2 years. She's been sitting in the water in a marina at Brunswick GA for the last 2 years where I've hired a diver to clean the bottom and replace the zincs as needed every 4-6 weeks. I was surprised to see no zinc on the prop when we hauled out, and dismayed to see severe electrolytic corrosion of the prop shaft when I started changing the seals. I posted a pic at the KristySM243 folder https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/photos/albums/948071197/lightbox/1877878820 I need advice on what is involved in removing the prop shaft. Is it necessary to remove the bottom of the drive aft of the keel? I guess I'm going to look into isolating the boat electrically. Sigh, Kent SM243 Currently Tiger Point Marina, Fernandina Beach, FL
Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (2) . Top ^
3a Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker
Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:03 pm (PDT) . Posted by: karkauai
I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker. I've sprayed a ton of PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success. Right now I'm soaking it in Vinegar. Any ideas? Thanks, Kent SM 243 Kristy Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL
Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (10) . Top ^
3b Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker
Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:30 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "haspeter.baettig" hanspeterbaettig
Hi Kent buy a new one, safety first best regards Hanspeter Tamango 2 , SM #16 Krusadasi, Turkey (actual with out twitter and youtube, mr erdogan, Prminister of Tukey is a littel bit angry :-) I think to leave Turkey, Greek is only a few miles away Von meinem iPhone gesendet > Am 28.03.2014 um 20:03 schrieb <karkauai@...>: > > I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker. I've sprayed a ton of PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success. Right now I'm soaking it in Vinegar. > Any ideas? > Thanks, > Kent > SM 243 Kristy > Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL > >
Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (10) . Top ^
3c Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker
Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:38 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Kent Robertson" karkauai
Problem is getting the old one out of the chain locker. It won't budge because it's all rusted together. The limited access to the locker means the fix has to be chemical rather than mechanical. Acid would probably do it but fumes from muriatic acid would every toxic. I soaked it vinegar for 24 hrs and no improvement. Need some other suggestions. Kent SM243 Kristy Tiger Point Boat Yard Fernandina Beach FL Sent from my iPhone > On Mar 28, 2014, at 3:30 PM, "haspeter.baettig" <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote: > > Hi Kent > buy a new one, safety first > best regards > Hanspeter > Tamango 2 , SM #16 > Krusadasi, Turkey > (actual with out twitter and youtube, mr erdogan, Prminister of Tukey is a littel bit angry :-) > I think to leave Turkey, Greek is only a few miles away > > Von meinem iPhone gesendet > >> Am 28.03.2014 um 20:03 schrieb <karkauai@...>: >> >> >> I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker. I've sprayed a ton of PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success. Right now I'm soaking it in Vinegar. >> Any ideas? >> Thanks, >> Kent >> SM 243 Kristy >> Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL >> > >
Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (10) . Top ^
3d Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker
Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:18 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Mark Erdos" captain_cucumber_head
Kent, What about something like Boeshield RustFree Rust and Stain Remover? Perhaps a multiple application to a specific area will give you the break you need to get the ball small enough. Mark SM2K #275 http://www.creampuff.us/ On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote: > > > Problem is getting the old one out of the chain locker. It won't budge > because it's all rusted together. The limited access to the locker means > the fix has to be chemical rather than mechanical. Acid would probably do > it but fumes from muriatic acid would every toxic. I soaked it vinegar for > 24 hrs and no improvement. > Need some other suggestions. > Kent > SM243 Kristy > Tiger Point Boat Yard > Fernandina Beach FL > > > Sent from my iPhone > > On Mar 28, 2014, at 3:30 PM, "haspeter.baettig" < > hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote: > > > > Hi Kent > buy a new one, safety first > best regards > Hanspeter > Tamango 2 , SM #16 > Krusadasi, Turkey > (actual with out twitter and youtube, mr erdogan, Prminister of Tukey is a > littel bit angry :-) > I think to leave Turkey, Greek is only a few miles away > > Von meinem iPhone gesendet > > Am 28.03.2014 um 20:03 schrieb <karkauai@...>: > > > > I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is > rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker. I've sprayed a ton of > PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success. Right now > I'm soaking it in Vinegar. > Any ideas? > Thanks, > Kent > SM 243 Kristy > Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL > > >
Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (10) . Top ^
3e Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker
Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:21 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Mark Erdos" captain_cucumber_head
Another thought. Since you are in a yard - soda blasting? It would be a mess to clean up but it would probably do the trick. Mark SM2K #275 http://www.creampuff.us/ On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote: > > > Problem is getting the old one out of the chain locker. It won't budge > because it's all rusted together. The limited access to the locker means > the fix has to be chemical rather than mechanical. Acid would probably do > it but fumes from muriatic acid would every toxic. I soaked it vinegar for > 24 hrs and no improvement. > Need some other suggestions. > Kent > SM243 Kristy > Tiger Point Boat Yard > Fernandina Beach FL > > > Sent from my iPhone > > On Mar 28, 2014, at 3:30 PM, "haspeter.baettig" < > hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote: > > > > Hi Kent > buy a new one, safety first > best regards > Hanspeter > Tamango 2 , SM #16 > Krusadasi, Turkey > (actual with out twitter and youtube, mr erdogan, Prminister of Tukey is a > littel bit angry :-) > I think to leave Turkey, Greek is only a few miles away > > Von meinem iPhone gesendet > > Am 28.03.2014 um 20:03 schrieb <karkauai@...>: > > > > I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is > rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker. I've sprayed a ton of > PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success. Right now > I'm soaking it in Vinegar. > Any ideas? > Thanks, > Kent > SM 243 Kristy > Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL > > >
Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (10) . Top ^
3f Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker
Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:50 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Kent Robertson" karkauai
Never heard of that product Mark, but I'll see if I can find it. Soda blasting would only hot the surface, but maybe could help a bit at a time. Keep those ideas coming! Thanks, Kent Sent from my iPhone > On Mar 28, 2014, at 6:21 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote: > > Another thought. Since you are in a yard - soda blasting? It would be a mess to clean up but it would probably do the trick. > > Mark > SM2K #275 > > http://www.creampuff.us/ > > >> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote: >> >> Problem is getting the old one out of the chain locker. It won't budge because it's all rusted together. The limited access to the locker means the fix has to be chemical rather than mechanical.. Acid would probably do it but fumes from muriatic acid would every toxic. I soaked it vinegar for 24 hrs and no improvement. >> Need some other suggestions. >> Kent >> SM243 Kristy >> Tiger Point Boat Yard >> Fernandina Beach FL >> >> >> Sent from my iPhone >> >>> On Mar 28, 2014, at 3:30 PM, "haspeter.baettig" <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote: >>> >>> >>> Hi Kent >>> buy a new one, safety first >>> best regards >>> Hanspeter >>> Tamango 2 , SM #16 >>> Krusadasi, Turkey >>> (actual with out twitter and youtube, mr erdogan, Prminister of Tukey is a littel bit angry :-) >>> I think to leave Turkey, Greek is only a few miles away >>> >>> Von meinem iPhone gesendet >>> >>>> Am 28.03.2014 um 20:03 schrieb <karkauai@...>: >>> > >>> > >>> > I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker. I've sprayed a ton of PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success. Right now I'm soaking it in Vinegar.. >>> > Any ideas? >>> > Thanks, >>> > Kent >>> > SM 243 Kristy >>> > Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL >>> > >> > >
Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (10) . Top ^
3g Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker
Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:16 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Ann-Sofie Svanberg" ladyannila
Sledge hammer??? /Annsofie Lady Annila SM 232 Skickat från min iPad > 28 mar 2014 kl. 18:50 skrev "Kent Robertson" <karkauai@...>: > > Never heard of that product Mark, but I'll see if I can find it. Soda blasting would only hot the surface, but maybe could help a bit at a time. > Keep those ideas coming! > Thanks, > Kent > > Sent from my iPhone > >> On Mar 28, 2014, at 6:21 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote: >> >> >> Another thought. Since you are in a yard - soda blasting? It would be a mess to clean up but it would probably do the trick. >> >> Mark >> SM2K #275 >> >> http://www.creampuff.us/ >> >> >>> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote: >>> >>> Problem is getting the old one out of the chain locker. It won't budge because it's all rusted together. The limited access to the locker means the fix has to be chemical rather than mechanical. Acid would probably do it but fumes from muriatic acid would every toxic. I soaked it vinegar for 24 hrs and no improvement. >>> Need some other suggestions. >>> Kent >>> SM243 Kristy >>> Tiger Point Boat Yard >>> Fernandina Beach FL >>> >>> >>> Sent from my iPhone >>> >>>> On Mar 28, 2014, at 3:30 PM, "haspeter.baettig" <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote: >>>> >>>> >>>> Hi Kent >>>> buy a new one, safety first >>>> best regards >>>> Hanspeter >>>> Tamango 2 , SM #16 >>>> Krusadasi, Turkey >>>> (actual with out twitter and youtube, mr erdogan, Prminister of Tukey is a littel bit angry :-) >>>> I think to leave Turkey, Greek is only a few miles away >>>> >>>> Von meinem iPhone gesendet >>>> >>>>> Am 28.03.2014 um 20:03 schrieb <karkauai@...>: >>> >> >>> >> >>> >> I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker. I've sprayed a ton of PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success. Right now I'm soaking it in Vinegar. >>> >> Any ideas? >>> >> Thanks, >>> >> Kent >>> >> SM 243 Kristy >>> >> Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL >>> >> > >
Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (10) . Top ^
3h Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker
Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:21 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Kent Robertson" karkauai
Been there and done that. Such a small access that I'm bruised on the arm and ribs from squeezing in there. I hit the mass with a 5 lb hammer and nothing budges! Keep em coming! Kent Sent from my iPhone > On Mar 28, 2014, at 7:16 PM, Ann-Sofie Svanberg <@Annsofie> wrote: > > Sledge hammer??? > > /Annsofie > Lady Annila SM 232 > > Skickat från min iPad > >> 28 mar 2014 kl. 18:50 skrev "Kent Robertson" <karkauai@...>: >> >> >> Never heard of that product Mark, but I'll see if I can find it.. Soda blasting would only hot the surface, but maybe could help a bit at a time. >> Keep those ideas coming! >> Thanks, >> Kent >> >> Sent from my iPhone >> >>> On Mar 28, 2014, at 6:21 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote: >>> >>> >>> Another thought. Since you are in a yard - soda blasting? It would be a mess to clean up but it would probably do the trick. >>> >>> Mark >>> SM2K #275 >>> >>> http://www.creampuff.us/ >>> >>> >>>> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote: >>>> >>>> Problem is getting the old one out of the chain locker. It won't budge because it's all rusted together. The limited access to the locker means the fix has to be chemical rather than mechanical. Acid would probably do it but fumes from muriatic acid would every toxic. I soaked it vinegar for 24 hrs and no improvement. >>>> Need some other suggestions. >>>> Kent >>>> SM243 Kristy >>>> Tiger Point Boat Yard >>>> Fernandina Beach FL >>>> >>>> >>>> Sent from my iPhone >>>> >>>>> On Mar 28, 2014, at 3:30 PM, "haspeter.baettig" <hanspeter..baettig@...> wrote: >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> Hi Kent >>>>> buy a new one, safety first >>>>> best regards >>>>> Hanspeter >>>>> Tamango 2 , SM #16 >>>>> Krusadasi, Turkey >>>>> (actual with out twitter and youtube, mr erdogan, Prminister of Tukey is a littel bit angry :-) >>>>> I think to leave Turkey, Greek is only a few miles away >>>>> >>>>> Von meinem iPhone gesendet >>>>> >>>>>> Am 28.03.2014 um 20:03 schrieb <karkauai@...>: >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker. I've sprayed a ton of PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success. Right now I'm soaking it in Vinegar. >>> >>> Any ideas? >>> >>> Thanks, >>> >>> Kent >>> >>> SM 243 Kristy >>> >>> Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL >>> >>> > >
Reply to sender .. Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (10) . Top ^
3i Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker
Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:17 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Roque"
Alternatives to think about: 1. Hydrochloric acid; 2. Heat gun; 3. Electrolysis (maybe you won't have enough room for this) Roque S/Y Atica Amel 54 Em sexta-feira, 28 de março de 2014, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> escreveu: > > > Been there and done that. Such a small access that I'm bruised on the arm > and ribs from squeezing in there. > I hit the mass with a 5 lb hammer and nothing budges! > Keep em coming! > Kent > > Sent from my iPhone > > On Mar 28, 2014, at 7:16 PM, Ann-Sofie Svanberg <@Annsofie<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','@Annsofie');>> > wrote: > > > > Sledge hammer??? > > /Annsofie > Lady Annila SM 232 > > Skickat från min iPad > > 28 mar 2014 kl. 18:50 skrev "Kent Robertson" <karkauai@...<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','karkauai@...');> > >: > > > > Never heard of that product Mark, but I'll see if I can find it. Soda > blasting would only hot the surface, but maybe could help a bit at a time. > Keep those ideas coming! > Thanks, > Kent > > Sent from my iPhone > > On Mar 28, 2014, at 6:21 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','mcerdos@...');>> > wrote: > > > > Another thought. Since you are in a yard - soda blasting? It would be a > mess to clean up but it would probably do the trick. > > Mark > SM2K #275 > > http://www.creampuff.us/ > > > On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','karkauai@...');> > > wrote: > >> >> >> Problem is getting the old one out of the chain locker. It won't budge >> because it's all rusted together. The limited access to the locker means >> the fix has to be chemical rather than mechanical. Acid would probably do >> it but fumes from muriatic acid would every toxic. I soaked it vinegar for >> 24 hrs and no improvement. >> Need some other suggestions. >> Kent >> SM243 Kristy >> Tiger Point Boat Yard >> Fernandina Beach FL >> >> >> Sent from my iPhone >> >> On Mar 28, 2014, at 3:30 PM, "haspeter.baettig" < >> hanspeter.baettig@...<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','hanspeter.baettig@...');>> >> wrote: >> >> >> >> Hi Kent >> buy a new one, safety first >> best regards >> Hanspeter >> Tamango 2 , SM #16 >> Krusadasi, Turkey >> (actual with out twitter and youtube, mr erdogan, Prminister of Tukey is >> a littel bit angry :-) >> I think to leave Turkey, Greek is only a few miles away >> >> Von meinem iPhone gesendet >> >> Am 28.03.2014 um 20:03 schrieb <karkauai@...<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','karkauai@...');> >> >: >> >> >> >> I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is >> rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker. I've sprayed a ton of >> PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success. Right now >> I'm soaking it in Vinegar. >> Any ideas? >> Thanks, >> Kent >> SM 243 Kristy >> Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL >> >> > >
Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (10) . Top ^
3j Re: Rusted Ball of Chain in the Chain Locker
Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:24 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Kent Robertson" karkauai
What does everyone think about Hydrochloric acid? No damage to the hull? Fumes? How to get rid of it afterward? Not sure what the heat gun would do??? I don't understand what you're talking about with electrolysis? Thanks, Roque, Kent Sent from my iPhone > On Mar 28, 2014, at 8:17 PM, Roque <ediroque@...> wrote: > > Alternatives to think about: > > > 1. Hydrochloric acid; > > 2. Heat gun; > > 3. Electrolysis (maybe you won't have enough room for this) > > Roque > S/Y Atica Amel 54 > > Em sexta-feira, 28 de março de 2014, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> escreveu: >> >> Been there and done that. Such a small access that I'm bruised on the arm and ribs from squeezing in there. >> I hit the mass with a 5 lb hammer and nothing budges! >> Keep em coming! >> Kent >> >> Sent from my iPhone >> >>> On Mar 28, 2014, at 7:16 PM, Ann-Sofie Svanberg <@Annsofie> wrote: >>> >>> >>> Sledge hammer??? >>> >>> /Annsofie >>> Lady Annila SM 232 >>> >>> Skickat från min iPad >>> >>>> 28 mar 2014 kl. 18:50 skrev "Kent Robertson" <karkauai@...>: >>>> >>>> >>>> Never heard of that product Mark, but I'll see if I can find it. Soda blasting would only hot the surface, but maybe could help a bit at a time. >>>> Keep those ideas coming! >>>> Thanks, >>>> Kent >>>> >>>> Sent from my iPhone >>>> >>>>> On Mar 28, 2014, at 6:21 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote: >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> Another thought. Since you are in a yard - soda blasting? It would be a mess to clean up but it would probably do the trick. >>>>> >>>>> Mark >>>>> SM2K #275 >>>>> >>>>> http://www.creampuff.us/ >>>>> >>>>> >>>>>> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>> Problem is getting the old one out of the chain locker. It won't budge because it's all rusted together. The limited access to the locker means the fix has to be chemical rather than mechanical. Acid would probably do it but fumes from muriatic acid would every toxic. I soaked it vinegar for 24 hrs and no improvement. >>>>>> Need some other suggestions. >>>>>> Kent >>>>>> SM243 Kristy >>>>>> Tiger Point Boat Yard >>>>>> Fernandina Beach FL >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> Sent from my iPhone >>>>>> >>>>>>> On Mar 28, 2014, at 3:30 PM, "haspeter.baettig" <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote: >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Hi Kent >>>>>>> buy a new one, safety first >>>>>>> best regards >>>>>>> Hanspeter >>>>>>> Tamango 2 , SM #16 >>>>>>> Krusadasi, Turkey >>>>>>> (actual with out twitter and youtube, mr erdogan, Prminister of Tukey is a littel bit angry :-) >>>>>>> I think to leave Turkey, Greek is only a few miles away >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Von meinem iPhone gesendet >>>>>>> >>>>>>>> Am 28.03.2014 um 20:03 schrieb <karkauai@...>: >>> >>> >> >>> >>> >> >>> >>> >> I've also discovered that the last 100ft or so of my anchor chain is rusted into a huge solid mass in the chain locker. I've sprayed a ton of PB Blaster on it and beat it with a hammer without much success.. Right now I'm soaking it in Vinegar. >>> >>> >> Any ideas? >>> >>> >> Thanks, >>> >>> >> Kent >>> >>> >> SM 243 Kristy >>> >>> >> Currently Tiger Point Marina Fernandina Beach, FL >>> >>> >> > >
Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (10) .. Top ^
VISIT YOUR GROUP
New Photos 10
• Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use