Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Grounding Strap Status - Super Maramu 2000 #350

karkauai

Try using a wet-dry vacuum to get the last bit of water out.  I had to replace mine a few years ago, as the bonding strap had completely corroded away.  With my new electrolytic prop shaft damage that is the first place I will look for improper bonding problem.
Kent
SM243 Kristy

On Apr 11, 2014, at 9:26 AM, svperegrinus <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hello,

Looks like our electric systems on Super Maramu 2000 #350 are currently ungrounded.

We spent a most wonderful afternoon yesterday exploring our bilge or sea chest in the engine compartment.  Here is what we found hanging or attached to the forward bulkhead and usually hidden by the bilge pump float+switch cylinder we removed:

1.  Grounding wires meld/union

Hangs from about 8 grounding wires coming from port and starboard near the top of the bilge pump’s high water mark.

2.  Grounding strap joint to the wires

Hangs from the meld or union

3.  Grounding strap loop

The strap does not immediately hang to the bottom of the bilge.  Instead, it hangs loosely from the above structures 1. and 2., and then loops back to the forward bulkhead.

4.  Grounding strap attachment to the forward bulkhead

This is well below the bilge pump’s high water mark, and therefore is submerged most of the time.  Covered in muck, we did not see what does this attachment consist of.

5.  Grounding strap extension to the bottom of the bilge

The strap hangs from the above structure 4. and ends an estimated 20 centimetres (8 inches) before it reaches the bottom of the bilge.  The end does not look like a clean cut and instead looks ragged.

We tried to fully evacuate the bilge but were unable to remove the final 2 centimetres of water (1 inch) to see if we could spot the keel bolt at the bottom.  As the water is pitch dark, we were unable to see the bottom of the bilge.  We used two different manual pumps, but no matter what we did, a bit of extremely dark water/muck remained.  We dropped a gallon of vinegar and left it overnight, and plan to use other chemicals and brushes to see if it is possible to see the bottom.

Cheerio,