SM 2000 Cutter Rig

John and Anne on Bali Hai <hollamby@...>

Hello All,
My last boat was an Oyster 435 sloop rigged ketch. After checking with
Oyster I had it converted to what they called a slutter rig.
A new forestay complete with sheave box was fitted about three feet
down from the outer headstay thus avoiding the need for ruuning
backstays. A halyard exit box went into the mast and a new chainplate
was built in to the fore deck. The new forestay was normally tied down
to the mast foot but for passages it was secured to the chainplate
with a fitting made by Wichard which incorporates a screwthread and
let down handles to tighten the inner forestay, this fitting normally
lay flat on the fore deck. I did not use a furling forestay as the
inner forestay was only used to hold a bagged storm jib hanked on
ready for emergency use (it never was used!).
It could however have been used for a Solent Jib and on the SM 2000
this should improve the windward performance either independently or
in conjunction with the genoa.
A sail that we used a lot on rough passages (e.g. Fiji,Tonga and
Vanuatu to New Zealand) was a flat Yankee jib which was still
effective furled and the high cut kept it out of the heavy seas.
In my view one of the many great virtues of the SM design is its
simlicity of operation and to add complications for everyday sailing
would not be attractive to us. Indeed when I now see yachts such as
Oysters with their rows of winches, miles of lines etc I shudder at
the thought of the work that would be involved for a short handed
crew.

Good sailing, Anne and John