Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] MARAMU ORIGINAL MASTER SWITCH

svmalaika@...

I owned a Maramu (#102) for 16 years and sold her 5 years ago to purchase our
current Super Maramu 2000, so these answers are based on my memory and should
be confirmed with AMEL or another owner.

1) The switch rotates both ways.

2) Yes. Switching back to NORMAL will not cause any problems.

3) Yes, you could safely leave the switch in the SECOURS position and will be
charging both banks, however if both battery banks and alternators are
functioning properly there is no reason to do so. It is always better to keep the
alternator/battery pairs seperate.

AMEL's philosophy with the MARAMU battery/alternator set up is to provide two
way redundancy. If either an alternator or a battery bank (or one of each)
fails you can still operate both starting and house 12 volt systems until you
can repair the problem. The only problem that might be caused by "operator
error" could arise if you turned the switch to the ARRET (off) position (or removed
the grounding toggle) while the engine was running. This might cause
transient current surges that could burn out an alternator diode.

Hope this helps and that my memory is correct.

Charlie
S/V MALAIKA II
Barcelona, SPAIN