Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] open CPN

GrahamJohnston42 <grahamjohnston42@yahoo.com>

Hi Danny,
I remembered that a year or two ago I had used Google  translate on a French Forum where there was talk of OpenCPN with Google Earth. The translation is nonsense but the link takes you to a host of zipped .kap files of Europe.

http://www.plaisance-pratique.com/-cartes-google-earth-?lang=fr

If you look down the opage then there are links to all sorts of programmes.
Perhaps there is more info there for you particularly if you speak French.

If you suceed please let us all know!

Regards
Graham

To: "amelyachtowners@..."
Sent: Monday, 2 June 2014, 10:45
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] open CPN

Thanks Graham, this looks promising. The Fiji Google charts I have are accessed from the chart bars at the bottom of the screen. once accessed they are not an overlay, rather they stand alone giving a birds eye view photographic image onto which the boats position is shown via a GPS for  the lap top. as you may imagine this is vey useful. I spoke to one user who said in corall areas he picked sand spots to drop his anchor on.
Thanks for the link
Danny
SM299
Ocean Pearl

On 2/06/2014, at 7:37 pm, "Graham Johnston grahamjohnston42@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,
This may be whaty you are looking for it allows overlaying of Google images on OpenCPN. I have yet to try but it was demonstrated to me by a Frenchman last year and it looked really useful.

Instructions for use.

Download link.
GE2KAP.V11.0.0.0 - New March. 19, 2014 Creates charts from GE and chart images. Can overlay opencpn chart and chart images. Fixes multi polygon problem.

Regards
Graham
Sharki 181 Zephyr

From: "Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amel owners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Saturday, 31 May 2014, 11:29
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] open CPN

Hi all,
last year a friendly cruiser gave us the open CPN chart system for our lap top. They included the Google feature but just for the Fiji area. It gives photographic images showing reefs etc. Combined with a gps aerial it is the ultimate for navigating around coral reefs and difficult entrances. Problem being we have lost touch with them and would like to download the Google feature for other areas. Can anyone advise how this can be accessed.
  Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.