The HP pump on a Dessalator 160 is a CAT pump. I bought oil for a water maker CAT pump at a water maker shop in Turkey. I am sure that you can find a water maker shop/guy in Ft Lauderdale.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 2:29 AM, asm283@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello

If I remember correctly it is some sort of food grade oil. Not motor oil. You should be able to get it any marine store that specializes in water makers.

Vito Ciaravino

From: svperegrinus <no_reply@...>;
To: <amelyachtowners@...>;
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] 30W/40 oil for Dessalator high pressure pump
Sent: Mon, Jun 2, 2014 8:50:49 PM

Spent a couple of hours reading and re-reading the Dessalator manuals provided on the "Accesories" binders (the Amel manual itself makes reference to a smaller 50L unit not installed on this vessel)

It clearly says that the Dessalator high pressure pump (the CAT pump) needs "30W/40" oil.  It is unclear wether this is regular motor oil or some sort of hydraulic oil.

Spent a while on the internet looking for this oil.  Was not able to find a "30W/40" oil.  According to Wikipedia, "W" oils end at 25 (5W, 10W, etc), and do not reach 30W.

Certainly a common oil such as 10W-40 would not be suitable for this?  The 10W would be too thin at ambient and/or pump-startup temps.

Heavily tempted to simply use straight 30 oil.

It is not very clear from the manual what Dessalator model Peregrinus has.  We were under the impression it is a 120 l/hr machine but on the manual the models shown skip from 75 l/hr to 140 l/hr and the latter one seems to match the output quantities we've seen.  Therefore, it might be a D140 / 2.5kW / 220V.

Any advice on oil to be used much appreciated.

Laying at anchor in Lake Sylvia / Ft Lauderdale today, waiting for tomorrow's weather window north.