Main boom attachment on SM

Hi Gary and anyone else who has replaced the attachment on their main boom,

Forewarned by you I checked our own attachment (14 years old and 56,000 miles ) and it was cracked but still hanging on. I have the replacement from Maud but am having real problems getting the stainless screws out of the  smaller aft attachment which I need to slide off before I can access the larger one . Tried sharp taps with a hammer but am in danger of blurring the slot on the bolt head. Can't use a blow torch for fear of damaging the paint on the boom.
  May just have to sacrifice the aft one and get a further replacement from Maud, but before I do that, has anyone any suggestions ?
    Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 , Gouvia, Greece