Mercury Outboard 15hp carburetor problem
Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
toggle quoted message Show quoted text
Thanks for your email. It was difficult because of a series of connected and disconnected problems. The following were the issues causing and/or contributing to the loss of power:
Number 2 above was the tough one to find and fix. The tiny bits of rubber got lodged in several places:
In all, it took five or six carburetor removals and overhauls to find all of the problems. Finding 7mm fuel hose in Montenegro was a challenge. A taxi and a search of one small town, then another larger town produced 8mm fuel hose for 2 euro, plus 45 euro for the taxi. Fortunately I had saved the fuel line pump bulb from 5 years ago when I changed out the entire fuel tank hose, so I simply am using the old one because finding a new one here is impossible.
The fuel filter did not help when the main contributor to the debris was after the fuel filter. When I get a chance, I will add a disposable in-line filter immediately before the carburetor.
The entire 1 week process was very frustrating and had me considering replacing this 11 year old motor. In the mean time, I did order the reed valve assembly, another carburetor kit, and a few other things which are waiting for me in Houston. I had planned to have them shipped to me, but will wait for a while.
I could not have repaired and cleaned the carburetor if I did not have a compressed air line that I connected to my dive tank. This line is a new addition for me. I bought a 50' lightweight hose from a dive shop that will screw into one of the 3 places on my "first-stage" regulator. At the other end of the hose I can connect either the "second stage," or octopus that I removed to connect this new line, or a air gun. In this case I connected the air gun. I also bought it for quick under-the-boat diving where I can leave the tank on-deck.
I had 4 or 5 years of 2 cycle engine experience when I was a teenager. I raced a go-cart which topped-in at 80mph, powered by two chain saw engines, lots of modifications, and a mixture of gas/nitro. For every hour of racing there was at least 12 hours of repairs/work. In that environment, I would get less than 1 year on the reed valves...but, of course, when they were working the engine was at 12,000 - 15,000 rpm.
I hope that this helps someone with similar issues.
On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:22 AM, gmshea@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote: