Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: 4JH4-HTE TURBO MALFUNCTION

David Pawley

Alex, What is a carter.? It appears that your rotor got stuck, by debris around the turbine, provided water didn't get up to the turbo bearings. It may be worth a test run of the Engine. Without load initially, use screw driver as stethoscope, listen for bearing noise, add alternator load. If you have the confidence then, you may risk a sea trial. There is a risk if you ran up the turbine (They spin at incredible revs ~30000RPM plus) a fail at 50% load, would be a unpleasant event and probably require turbo replacement, it sound like you are up for Turbo replacement anyhow, so unless I miss understand you risk little. Good luck.

On 30 June 2014 05:00, alex.paquin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Dear Mark:

I finally got the turbo to spin freely by using a wireless drill and a socket wrench on the nut holding the fan assembly together with the engine shut down of course. I ran the engine twice and seems it was stuck probably salt water ingress as you said.

I did have an accident caused by over cranking and water coming into my carter. I did flush the engine six times and the oil seems to be clear from water now.

I tried getting the kit in eBay but one vendor I consulted told me the kit they sold was maybe not compatible with this turbo unit. I sent you the information concerning our engine in case it helps to locate the part.

Regards,

Alex