From: Eric Lindholm <etlindholm@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Friday, 2 December 2005 4:21:16 AM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Basic info

Hello all. I am the new owner of a 1982 maramu, hull number 150 I think. I did not get any factory manuals, or any information with or about the boat when I got it. I have gone through the vessel from bow to stern to try to learn all of its secrets, but I have a few(for now) basic questions.

Is there a factory manual, and if so how to get one. If I can't get it from the factory, I would reimburse any other owner the cost to copy theirs and ship it to me.I can provide you with an electronic copy of the manual I have (Maramu # 147) but it does not provide much detail. I am told the Amel service department is quite good, their email address is amel@... ,

The function of two of the 12 volt breakers, #5 and #8 counting down from the top of the panel. #5 has some type of figure with a green light next to it.This probably activates the clutch to drive the factory refrigeration. #8 is simply blank,This may supply power to the wind instruments and depth sounder. and I thought it might just be an extra, but it is wired to something. I turned them both on and off, but could not make anything light up, pump, or make any other noise.

Transmission type. The heat exchanger of sorts is rotted out and needs replacement. From the design it would appear that this is a common problem.I need to either buy a few, or have them fabricated out of something more durable, ie copper or brass. I have no idea of who supplies the transmission. The engine is a perkins 4-154.I have the same engine and probably same gearbox.(Hurth) The heat exchanger (bolts on to the side of the gearbox) was alloy and went the same way as yours. I had one built of stainless steel and put it back in the same place. Because the g.box housing is alloy I used plenty of Duralac between the two.

The rig tuning specifications, if they are available.Sorry can't help here. A good rigger may be the answer or help from Amel.

My boat does not have a generator, and I was considering installing a small one. Has anyone done this, if so recomended type and area of installation. I am thinking of something in the 4kw range installed in the engine room compartment if possible.I installed a 2kva genset but unconventional and probably not for everyone. I built in a Honda eu20 (petrol, air cooled!) It works well and is very quiet, providing enough for a small airconditioner, hot water but not enough for both at once. It is easily removable for servicing, situated against the port side of the boat in the cockpit locker. It took a lot of messing around to arrange exhausting, ventillation and safety for petrol on board but comes at around 20% the price of a diesel genset.

Thank you all. After crawling all through this boat, I can't tell you how impressed I am with its design and construction. Sales pamphlets are one way to get info, but getting down on your hands and knees really makes you appreciate things.

Eric Lindholm, "MARAMU"

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS