Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Bow thruster Linear Actuator

Anne and John Hollamby <annejohnholl@...>

Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Bow thruster Linear Actuator

Hello Andrew,
Several years ago I made silly mistake which resulted in that motor being totally burnt out.This was a potential disaster as Amel told me that the motor was out of production but Maud managed to find one and sent it to me. When I fitted it I installed a 10 amp fuse in it’s circuit in the connection box and tied some spares onto the box for the next time there might be a problem.
I sent a message to this site advising every one to do the same and so it appears that Amel may have done the same at some stage or that a previous owner of your boat did it.
Fitting the fuse in the wire driving the motor was very simple and i strongly advise all owners to check to see if a fuse has been fitted in their  boat and if not fit one as a matter of urgency. All that is needed is an inline fuse holder and a few 10 amp fuses.

                                     Good luck,   Anne and John,  Bali Hai,  SM319,  for sale in Malta.

Possibly someone with a Super Maramu near #472 could take some photos of the location of the micro switches and post them. I would, but with 387, I fear there were some changes in the almost 3 years of production.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 3:43 PM, derickgates@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Andrew,

I can tell you from very recent experience that Brava (SM2K #400) has a 10 amp car fuse installed in the linear actuator, and it works.  I had neglected to put up the bow thruster until I was out of the harbor in some swells, and when I tried to bring it up in those conditions there was enough pressure on the bow thruster shaft that the bow thruster's pointed end on the top of the motor jammed against the edge of the receiving cone, thus failing to fully rise and thus not giving me the familiar alarm saying "I am fully up!".   Inspection showed that the bow thruster was jammed, and it would not go up or down.  I shut off the system in short order and slowly returned into the harbor.

Back at a mooring I was able to physically unjam the motor/shaft by looping a line around the shaft near the top (pointed end) and pulling really hard.  The up/down controlls still did not work.  I then examined the "black box" (linear actuator) by taking off the 4 cover screws and found that the 10 amp car fuse had blown.  Natually I did not have any spares aboard, so a crew member shorted the fuse with a small piece of wire and voila the bow thruster once again went up and down!

So under certain circumstances like my jam, the 10 amp fuse does serve a function to avoid burning out the motor that raises and lowers the bow thruster.  It is not clear to me why your 10 amp fuse failed to protect your motor.  Am I correct that you tested the fuse for electrical continuity and not just by visual inspection?   Please do keep the rest of us informed of your progress in understanding the system.

Derick

SM2K #400 Brava

On the hard in Antigua