Subject: Re: Diesel tank leaking
To: "svsunnyside@..." <svsunnyside@...>
Date: Wednesday, 9 July, 2014, 17:20

Hello Gabriele,
Sorry no one has replied to your call for help.  There seems to be lots of help for SM's out there but not so much for Maramus.
We had a leak in our fuel tank and I thought it was corrosion as well until I thoroughly inspected the entire tank and determined      that  it was only that the inspection cover needed tightening -LUCKY ME!
 We were in the Galapagos Islands and so help was going to be a problem if the tank was leaking from corrosion.

During the inspection, I was able to completely lift the tank and inspect all sides/corners while it was in the companionway.
Once it's in the companionway, you have to use the aft berth hatch to ingress/egress and inspect the aft portion of the tank.
My first thought was to try to remove it into the salon, but if that can even be done, the nav station would have to be dismantled.
 If you can get the tank suspended, so that a thorough inspection can be made, then perhaps a stainless steel expert can give it
a look and make a recommendation.

 Unfortunately, I've heard that these tanks must be cut up to remove and replace.
Good Luck!
Dennis Johns
s/v Libertad
Maramu #121