From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of amelliahona
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2005 6:04 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Water Maker Info

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "markmpitt" <mark_pitt@b...> wrote:
Hi Mark:

Thanks for your reply. I visited the www.airwaterice.com site and those do
indeed seem to
to be the membranes that we need. What a relief to find them at that price.
I will call
them tomorrow to verify. Our system uses 2 membranes only. The FilmTec
SW30-2540
membranes are rated at 700 gpd (gallons per day) = which comes out to
roughly 233
liters per hour, Given that, I am not sure why our systems only produce 120
liters per
hour. Perhaps it is just the inefficiencies of the system.

My TDS meter is about the same as yours. I see on eBay that Hana makes
several EC
(Electrical conductivity)/TDS/pH meters for about $120 USD. I haven't
searched up a
Chlorine meter yet.

I am not sure I would replace my membranes if all seemed well. I would
monitor them
closely though. I haven't discussed with anyone if a set of spares could be
purchased prior
to a long passage and if they would store well, or what their shelf life in
storage is.

My flush water chlorine filter is just a single Pur Water Filter housing
(almost identical to
the ones Dessalator used) that I mounted to the front of the exisiting two
filter housing's
mounting bracket, and plumbed into the system. I brought the hose from the
fresh water
line to the input side of the carbon filter housing, then a hose from the
ouput side to the
input side of the flush valve that is mounted on the low pressure feed water
pump. This
way all the fresh water going into that flush valve passes first thru the
carbon block filter.
The carbon block filter was also purchased from West Marine.

As to the replacing of the membrane's, I just don't know. From other posts
on this site it
appears that it is not a big job. I asked Dessalator for a parts diagram or
membrane
replacement instructions and they said that they didn't have such items.
They told me it
was really a straight forward job to replace the membranes.

Regards, Gary

Yahoo! Groups Links