Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Water Maker Info

Steve Constantine <maramu_49@...>

Gary,

I pulled this info from the Dow FILMTEC website on the storage life of new membranes.

It asks: "How long can you store a new, packaged FILMTEC element?

Answer: "Dry elements can be stored indefinitely. Wet elements can be stored up to one year, but replenish bisulphite as needed."

There's also a lot of other interesting info on the site. There's another section that goes into more detail on wet and dry storage. It also gives the temperature ranges for the storage of various products.

http://dow-answer.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/dow_answer.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=342&;p_created=1043797236&p_sid=JQjqhWh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTYmcF9wcm9kcz0yNTEsMjYzJnBfY2F0cz0yOTUmcF9wdj0yLjI2MyZwX2N2PTEuMjk1JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Steve - SM #340

amelliahona <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "markmpitt" <mark_pitt@b...> wrote:
Hi Mark:

Thanks for your reply. I visited the www.airwaterice.com site and those do indeed seem to
to be the membranes that we need. What a relief to find them at that price. I will call
them tomorrow to verify. Our system uses 2 membranes only. The FilmTec SW30-2540
membranes are rated at 700 gpd (gallons per day) = which comes out to roughly 233
liters per hour, Given that, I am not sure why our systems only produce 120 liters per
hour. Perhaps it is just the inefficiencies of the system.

My TDS meter is about the same as yours. I see on eBay that Hana makes several EC
(Electrical conductivity)/TDS/pH meters for about $120 USD. I haven't searched up a
Chlorine meter yet.

I am not sure I would replace my membranes if all seemed well. I would monitor them
closely though. I haven't discussed with anyone if a set of spares could be purchased prior
to a long passage and if they would store well, or what their shelf life in storage is.

My flush water chlorine filter is just a single Pur Water Filter housing (almost identical to
the ones Dessalator used) that I mounted to the front of the exisiting two filter housing's
mounting bracket, and plumbed into the system. I brought the hose from the fresh water
line to the input side of the carbon filter housing, then a hose from the ouput side to the
input side of the flush valve that is mounted on the low pressure feed water pump. This
way all the fresh water going into that flush valve passes first thru the carbon block filter.
The carbon block filter was also purchased from West Marine.

As to the replacing of the membrane's, I just don't know. From other posts on this site it
appears that it is not a big job. I asked Dessalator for a parts diagram or membrane
replacement instructions and they said that they didn't have such items. They told me it
was really a straight forward job to replace the membranes.

Regards, Gary

Sailing Sailing yacht Amel Boating sailing

Yahoo! Shopping