Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Unable to access photos

Steve Constantine <maramu_49@...>

Gary,

There was a typo in the email address John gave us for Rod Boreham. It's:
rod.boreham@advanceyacht.co.uk <rod.boreham@advanceyacht.co.uk>.

I spoke with Rod for about an hour yesterday about several of the issues discussed on this board. He was very helpful, and clarified all of my concerns and questions. As John said, there are a lot of misconceptions floating around. Rod is apparently going to post a reply clarifying a lot of the issues we've all raised. Since I've never even operated a watermaker before, I'm in no way the least bit qualified to properly explain his recommendations. I'll leave that to Rod. There is, however, one important item he told me that I think would be of immediate benefit to the members.

The "pickling" agents, sodium metabisulphite et al, are extremely caustic to the membranes, and will reduce their lives considerably if used incorrectly. Rod indicated that "incorrectly", meant either too often and/or in too strong a solution. He said they should be used only once a year "at most", and less often if not required. He also recommended erring on the side of a more dilute mixture, rather than too concentrated. They should only be used if there is a clogging of the membranes which significantly reduces the product flow. If that's the case, the agents will break up the caked-on deposits from the membranes' surfaces to restore proper flow. If not, they aren't doing much good, and are more likely to cause harm to the membranes. Perhaps this contributed to the early demise of your own.

If my interpretation of Rod's explanation isn't totally accurate, I apologize, but I did think it was worth posting in the interest of preventing anyone from doing any unnecessary damage until Rod can explain things accurately.

Regards,

Steve SM #340

amelliahona <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
Dec 16 2005

John:
I have looked at your pics several times. I think they are a good resourse. I am not certain at
what resolution they are downloaded but perhaps many of us have uploaded bigger files than
are absolutely necessary.

I tried emailing Dessalator's UK agent Rod Boreham at the address you gave and it came back
as undeliverable. Any thoughts?

Regards, Gary

Amel SM 2000 Hull # 335 s/v Liahona

Sailing Sailing yacht Amel Boating sailing

http://mail.yahoo.com