Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Unable to access photos

Steve Constantine <maramu_49@...>

Gary,

I'd be happy to forward you Rod's phone number. I'll also forward the list of questions I had sent to Rod for clarification.

Rod did have explanations for the apparent diverter inconsistencies, but I hesitate to try to relay them in case I confuse things even more than they are already. I'll give it a shot, and if I'm not 100% correct, hopefully Rod can clarify when he posts his comments.

As I understand Rod's explanation, the Dessalator systems are designed to over ride the sensor at 2 minutes. This is design intent so that an owner isn't deprived of the watermaker due solely to a defective sensor. If the green light comes on in some time period other than 2 minutes, it means the sensor has done its job and the changeover valve has been switched from the default overboard position, to the tank. If, however, the green light comes on at "exactly 2 minutes", it means the sensor has been over ridden. At this point, it's up to the owner to decide whether the cause is a defective sensor, or a defective fresh water product.

There are two steps to this process. First, disconnect the outlet hose from the manifold and taste test it for salinity (or with a TDS metre if you have one). If you can't taste salt, the water is acceptable...pointing to a defective sensor. If you can taste salt, the next step is to verify the flow volume by draining the output flow from the disconnected hose into a graduated measuring container (eg. a one litre bottle) for a fixed period of time. This will give you a rough measurement for the current litres per hour output. If it is no more than 20% to 25% over the rated output for your model (eg. 200 l/hr for a 160 l/hr model), the membranes are intact. If it is beyond 25%, too much water is getting through...indicating either a ruptured membrane, or a defective "O" ring.

I was writing frantically as Rod explained, so I missed a couple of things. One of those things, now that I think about it, is key. I'm not sure whether the changeover valve is designed to stay in the default overboard position when the 2 minute over ride is activated. It would make sense to me for it to do this, otherwise a defective sensor will always result in questionable product being piped into the tank after 2 minutes. This would defeat the purpose of having a sensor in the first place.

That said, if your tests verify you have a good product, there's also a way to manually over ride the default overboard changeover valve position. There's a small grey button on the side of the changeover valve box located at the top of the product flow tube on the back of the control panel. Pressing this button and rotating it one quarter turn, will manually position the valve such that the watermaker output flows to the tank.

Rod was clear in his disclaimer, that just because Dessalator has designed this feature into their products, doesn't mean that every boat manufacturer equipping their boats with a Dessalator has left them that way. It could be possible for AMEL to have modified it in some manner.

As I said, I'm a complete novice with regard to watermakers. I hope this explanation makes sense to those of you familiar with their operation.

Rod mentioned that the newer models are already equipped with the programmed flushing cycle at the end of each watermaking operation. Sorry, but I didn't ask if it was available as a field modification, or the cost if it was. I also didn't ask about it's ability to be programmed for automatic flushings when the boat was unattended. I was primarily focussed on freeze prevention/propylene glycol matters, so I forgot about some obvious things.

Steve

amelliahona <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Steve:

Evidently the Yahoo system truncates email address' that are imbedded in messages.
Probably to prevent mining of email address by spamers.

The copy of your message that came to my personal email box had the entire address. I
have tried resending my email. Would you mind trying to send me a private email with
Rod's phone number.

I must admit that I was very cavalier about the amount of sodium metabisulfite that I used
when pickling my system. When Olivier taught us about this he said something to the
effect of, "put a little of this in a bucket of water". I assumed if a little was good more was
better so I would routinely use about two cap fulls of the powder in a 2 1/2 gal bucket of
water. I now know that quantitiy is way way way too much. So I have nobody to blame
except myself.

Did Rod indicate any thoughts about why the diverter system didn't work?

Did he have any more information about the new Dessalator timer system and if it can be
programmed to flush on a specific schedule or if it only is capable of flushing upon
completion of the water making cycle? Dessalator indicated that the timer system could
be retrofit for about $1,000 USD.

Thanks,

Gary Silver s/v Liahona Amel SM 2000 Hull # 335

Sailing Sailing yacht Amel Boating sailing

http://mail.yahoo.com