Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Light Air Sails / Bow Sprits and attachment points

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Terry,

Crossing the Pacific, we used the double headsails for any wind direction of 155 Port to 155 Starboard.

We do have an Asymmetrical which we attach to the bow roller...we do not use the Asymmetrical for crossing oceans, but sometimes use it for short hops. It is in a sock and attached at the tack with a quick release shackle...one that will break open when you pull the cord while it is under pressure. If we need to get the Asymmetrical socked in a hurry, we pull the shackle release and the tack flies up and to leeward...then simply sock the sail.

I hope this helps...and I am not sure about the strength of the bow roller for this method, but have done it this way for 8+ years.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 8:02 PM, terencesingh@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good day, I would like to get an idea of how many Amel owners have retrofitted their boats with light Air sails and of more interest how often are they used. I am specifically referring to Spinnakers, Code Zero's, Gennakers etc.

My wife and I are preparing for an extended cruise across the Pacific and hopefully beyond. We have the factory standard Headsail Balooner and Mizzen Balooner. Anything upwind of the Balloners useful work angle seems to be a gaping hole with respect to light air.

The other area of interest is how the sail tack is attached to the boat. I have no faith that the bow roller has the strength to serve this purpose. Considering adding a separate bow sprit attached to the deck or hull.

Anything that can be shared would be appreciated.

Terry&Dena

SV Libby #196

San Diego