Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Second Holding Tank Failure

Ian Shepherd

Bill,

in order to establish whether the toilet blue is corrosive or not, this is what I am going to do. I will place a short piece of copper tubing in a glass jar filled with my blue header tank water and see what happens over a period of time. I rather doubt that it is corrosive as the older toilet cistern tanks has a copper pipe to the float ball, though of course that was probably before additives were invented.

I won't be able to do this till after October 5th as I am in the UK dishing out some flying instruction to the military. I will let the group know what transpires.

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader (2003) Cyprus

On 15/09/2014 15:21, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Ian,

Do you think that blue airplane water that you flush with, may have something to do with the deterioration of the pipe?

For those that do not know it, Ian added a flush water tank which automatically fills with fresh water when the water in the tank gets low. He also added a chemical to the water that makes the flush water look like that blue water on airplanes. Ian was a BA 747 Captain before being self-promoted to a Super Maramu Captain. He is vainly trying to get as many miles sailing as he did flying. He has logged more than most of us, but I do not think he will match his 747 miles. ;) ;)

Bill
BeBe 387

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Oooh, nasty job Ian. I checked my tanks after your first problem and my copper pipes look fine.  I wonder why yours are disintegrating and my older ones aren't???

If it failed at the bonding point could there be some stray current causing the problem?

Is that where the other one failed, too?

I feel for you.  I had to replace the hoses on both heads when I bought the boat...my crew gave me a hat with a skunk on it that said "Team Skunk".
Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Sep 15, 2014, at 7:51 AM, "Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

As happened with my aft heads holding tank about 18 months ago, the
copper pipe that connects the holding tank to the drain pipe in the
forward heads failed. Interestingly the hole appeared where the
grounding wire was held against the copper pipe by a hose clamp. Whether
this was caused by dissimilar metals or just the pressure of the wire on
a very weak tube is guesswork. It might however be prudent to slacken
the clamp to prolong the time before failure. For the past 2 years my
toilets have been on a fresh water flush system, yet the copper tubes
still failed.

As before I got my machine shop to turn up a Teflon connector with a
shoulder beneath the tank bottom and two O-seals above. The one good
thing about the original design is that with care you can work the
rotted copper pipe out of the tank with a pair of grips, leaving a
smooth interior surface for the O-seals to mate against.

There should be a photo of the Teflon coupling on this sight. If it has
been removed, I can send a photo to anyone you is interested.

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 (2003) Crusader Cyprus