Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Propshaft wearing ring

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Derick,

The prop shaft seals will wear a groove in the wear bushing...that is the reason for its existence.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 5:09 PM, derickgates@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

OK, I feel really foolish asking this question, but I need to ask it.  What part of the bronze wearing-out bearing wears out? Does the wearing-out bearing rotate with the shaft, so that the outer surface next to the three seals wears, or is my assumption correct that the wearing-out bearing stays static relative to the seals and instead the propeller shaft rotates inside it, wearing out the inner surfaces of the bronze wearing-out bearing?  Other than water in the transmission oil, or loss of oil, how can you tell by inspection that the wearing-out bearing is worn out?

Derick

SM2K #400 Brava