Prop shaft wear bushing alternatives and seals and sourcing alternatives

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

I know that some very experienced people have suggested changing the prop shaft wear bushings to stainless, or using a stainless sleeve, and/or some other method. There are probably 6 unproven theories on this issue. I think it all started because some of us believe that Amel overcharges for the wear bushing (and they probably do). Then, of course, the theories about changing the Amel-suggested orientation of the oil/water seals that fit on the wear bushing. Then, additionally, various other sources of the seals, and O rings in the place of springs...yada, yada, yada...I am getting a headache remembering all of this stuff.

For what it is worth, I think that Amel has much more experience with this than any one Amel owner, and certainly more than me.

I am sorry if I disagree with some of you, who, by the way, I respect immensely...BUT, haulouts and C Drives are for too expensive for me to start diddling with the small stuff. I am sticking with Amel for these parts. I could not sleep at night if I started playing Russian Roulette.

 I hope I haven't ruffled too many feathers, but I just had to say this...I promise, I will not say it again.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 5:51 PM, herbert@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

This summer we had water in the drive-oil (milky) so we hauled and changed the sealings.  We found out that there was a steel wearing ring and not the brass ring from Amel.  When the seals have been changed last haul-out only the sealings have been changed, according to the "professional" there is nothing else to do. Now I learned that the wearing ring should be changed always when the seals are changed, it is an inexpensive item from Amel (compared to an extra haul-out)

I uploaded some fotos to show how the (steel) wearing ring looks at end of life...

Th wearing ring is fixed to the shaft and the outer surface is next to the three seals.

fair winds,

tadeja and herbert,
KALI MERA, SN 120, Kusadasi