Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Interlux micron 66

Mark Erdos

We considered CC and are in warm water (Florida). I talked to a company representative who stated that most people who are unhappy with CC is because the paint was applied incorrectly. It is a process with little lenience. Few yards seem to really understand the correct procedure. This is an ongoing challenge for the CC company. Even the yards that are certified do very few boats and are not proficient with the process.

I asked the company representative to give me the name of a boat yard in Florida who purchases the most product from them. My logic being that this would be the yard most familiar with the application process. I was surprised when they didn’t really have a preferred location to which to refer potential customers. If we had gone the CC option, the local representative offered to oversee the paint application and “teach” our local yard the process.

CC does work well in warm water. If I remember correctly, if the boat is hauled and the CC paint sits for a few days while dry dock work is performed then the paint must be lightly sanded before being splashed. So, since an Amel requires a haul out about every two years anyway for drive, prop and bow thruster service, CC offers no real savings.  We opted for Micron 66. Dollar for dollar, Micron was the less expensive option and works well.

Best regards,

Mark

SM2K #275

www.creampuff.us

From: "Bill & Judy Rouse" <svbebe@...>
Date: Oct 3, 2014 2:54 PM
To: <amelyachtowners@...>

JP,

I believe that CC works well with 1 to 2 cleanings in the Med. I believe you will find a significant difference in the tropics...and round the world, you will be in the tropics almost all of the time. People I know cleaned and scraped 3 to 4 times in the tropics and required dive gear and metal scrapers. Some people enjoy this.

Like I said earlier, I am not a fan of CC, and take this into consideration when reading my negative  comments.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Oct 3, 2014 2:25 PM, "Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Aras,

I have used Coppercoat exclusively in high foul areas of the Med; I have not had to clean my hull more than once a year and in my case, I do it with a long handled brush from the dinghy.

No cost as opposed to a haul out and anti foul.

Eleuthera is getting an epoxy primer then 5 coats of CC before we set off on our RTW.

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre

Eleuthera SM007

On 3 Oct 2014, at 13:08, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have not used coppercoat, but I have three friends who have used it. Two love it, the third dislikes it.

The reason the third dislikes it is because coppercoat will require numerous hull cleanings and scrapings each year. The richer the water and the more tropical the climate, the more cleanings.

You may enjoy cleaning your hull. If you do, coppercoat may be for you. If not, and you apply it, you have just applied a coat of epoxy with some copper it.

I will admit, that I am not a fan of coppercoat, so be sure to get other opinions.

Oh, and there is a photo on the Amel Owners Group Yahoo website side-by-side of Micron66 vs Coppercoat. Each boat had application in New Zealand and the photo was taken 1 year later in Malaysia. Search photos for hull, antifouling,  or Micron66.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Oct 3, 2014 1:55 PM, "Aras Grinius n33077@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Instead of using Micron paints, has anybody ever used CopperCoat as a bottom paint?

Aras

Posted by: "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...>

Reply to sender

Reply to group