Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Insulating our Amel for cool/cold weather sailing

Ian Shepherd <ocean53@...>

Hi Richard,

as you know I have taken my SM to Greenland, Labrador & Newfoundland on more
than one occasion. I can't say that at any time that I was really cold other
than once having to dive under the boat to cut a rope off the prop in a sea
temperature of 4 degrees Centigrade!

The boat's insulation is pretty good, and I suffered very little
condensation. Maybe just a little on the inside of the hull at the back of
the hanging lockers. I did have the luxury of an Eberspacher heater which I
did use some mornings in Greenland. It did dry the boat well. Cooking was
another good source of heat. I take it that you don't have the a/c units
with reverse cycle capability? Useful on shore power or when running the
genset. I never had any shore power up there though. Maybe you could carry a
couple of electric fan heaters for use when the genset is running?

You might want to take some thermal long john's along. I found them useful
when I had to leave the sea berth to visit the cockpit for a quick look
around or to trim sail. In fact I seem to rembember I slept in them whilst
under way.

My cockpit has the side panels to the folding bimini plus the vertical back
cover with the zipped door. This really helped keep the often gale force
winds at bay, but when the wind was from aft, it did get draughty due to the
poor seal between the back cover and the cockpit sides and the seats. You
might want to add some overlap in this area to get a better seal. Otherwise
the cockpit was quite snug. The disadvantage with this layout is that if you
need to get to the winches, you need to unzip the door as they are outside
the enclosed area altogther.

I don't know if you are planning any winter sailing in the UK, but I would
say that from April till the end of October, you will be pleasantly
surprised at our climate, though it might rain a bit! Out of the Gulf Stream
you might feel a bit cooler in Scandinavia, though the longer hours of
daylight may compensate a bit.

Experience on previous boats has found that the Tilley lamp can be a good
source of heat, as well as portable camping butune heaters. They will
produce some condensation though. I would get one of those battery driven
carbon monoxide monitors from one of your mega stores if you are going to
use such devices. I picked one up for about $30 in Newfoundland from
Canadian Tire. It did sound the alarm once when a side wind blew the genset
exhaust into the cabin.

Have a super trip Richard. There are many great spots to visit either side
of the English Channel, and when the sun shines in the Hebrides off Scotland
there are few places better.

Spare a thought as I swelter in the Red Sea this summer!

Regards

Ian Shepherd SM 414 'Crusader'