Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Volvo D3 engine problem

Peter Forbes

Tony,

I am now back in England after some extended Ionian cruising  - my Amel 54  #035 is in Gouvia for the winter.

I met up with Ian Jenkins in Gouvia and he told me you never made Gouvia in the end and went back to the mainland for haul-out for winter.

I am so sorry to hear you had such trouble with the Volvo - I have always assumed that my Volvo (I guess mach the same as yours) will NEVER fail and of course I rely on it!!

I have asked Vovlo in Poole to run a short training course for me and of course I will ask about the common rail relay and learn something about it. I gather some other relays were problematic too?

I congratulate you for picking up that buoy and thank God it was a strong one or I presume you would have been wrecked on the beach?

I hope you and your Amel are now safe and sound.

Peter
Peter Forbes
Carango  Sailing Ketch
Amel 54 #035
Gouvia Marina - CORFU, Greece

On 17 Sep 2014, at 06:08, Tony Robinson tonywrobinson51@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Peter - unfortunately I am not in Gouvia Marina. I was anchored in the bay south of the fortress at Corfu Town on saturday night/sunday morning when that electrical storm hit. My anchor dragged (as did everyone else's here) and it was during the storm the engine cut out. The service agent said the problem was nothing to do with the storm - it was just bad luck it happened at the same time. Anyway, I managed to pick up an adjacent mooring buoy - fortunately it has heavy chain attached to a huge concrete block - and I'm still on it now.

I'm on the south side of the bay towards the airport, very near the windmill on the quay. I'm one of the closest boats to the shore......but safe enough for now. The plan is that when/if the agent gets the engine going agian I'll motor round to the marina for a more thorough diagnostic test and pump repairs.

I'll look you up if I get there - hopefully by the weekend.

Best, Tony.
Catriona R Amel 54 #102

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:56 PM, "Peter Forbes ppsforbes@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Tony,

Which mooring are you on I am on A238 with Amel 54 #035. Gouvia Marina.

Peter
Peter Forbes
Carango  Sailing Ketch
Amel 54 #035
Gouvia Marina - CORFU, Greece

On 16 Sep 2014, at 17:50, Tony Robinson tonywrobinson51@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have 110hp on my Amel 54 #102. A faulty relay was diagnosed after my engine stopped - apparently the water pump on this earlier version of the D3 is located above the 12V alternator and the relay(s) in question. The seals weeped water over time and the relays failed. The EVC showed an electrical fault and the engine would not start - it was dead. The main Volvo service agent here in Corfu jiggled the relays and got the engine going again. But......it was very difficult to start and ran very roughly. Previously it started and ran perfectly - I thought it was just the relays that were the problem.

The agent connected his fault code reader and then diagnosed a faulty sensor - located at the transmission end of the engine, under the large water hoses. This sensor is proving impossible to locate in Greece. My question is has anybody had this problem before ? If yes, what was your solution ? I am stuck on a mooring unable to move until I can get the engine started. I'm not sure if I have a lot of confidence that the main service agent knows what he's doing.

I have basic mechanical knowledge but the eletronics on these engines is beyond me. To say I am frustrated is an understatement !

Tony Robinson

Catriona R