Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Offshore Health Insurance

Craig Briggs

Thanks Drew and Liz for your posts - great stuff.  Another quick addendem - instead of Medicare A&B, I've got Medicare Part C,  aka a Medicare Advantage Plan.  For out-of-country expenses I initially pay out-of-pocket but submit the bills for reimbursement after the fact and the insurance company pays up to the normal Medicare amounts.  Plans and premiums vary (mine is no added premium over normal Medicare) and this is likely available in some Medigap policies, although those are added cost.  Shop carefully.

And, while anectdotal evidence in these insurance discussions will always yield good and bad accounts, fwiw, we had excellent experience with IMG for the first 10 years of cruising.  As we aged their rates got too high so when I went on Medicare Advantage and we switched Katherine to Blue Cross (still pricey).

Cheers,
Craig Briggs,  SN#68 Sangaris