Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Freak accident

Eric Lindholm

That is the the most bizarre accident I have ever heard, but I will make sure I remember it, and pass it on. Eric maramu 105

Ian & Judy Jenkins <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com> wrote: Having left our boat ashore for 7 months and not being certain that the
watermaker will function after being pickled that long, we bought 5 large (
6 litre) plastic bottles of water . Round bottles.
We unloaded them onto the side deck . It was mid afternnon, full sun.After
only about a minute I moved them into the cockpit and immediately smelt
burning. There, on the side deck where the bottles had stood for no more
than a minute , were 5 small holes burnt into the deck, about 15 millimeters
across and up to 1 1/2 mill deep. By chance the shape of the bottle had
created the perfect magnifying glass creating an immediate and very hot
concentration of the sun´s rays. As soon as I realized what had happened I
grabbed the bottles off the cockpit seat--too late, smaller burns appear
there as well. You live and learn.
I have some brown gelcoat on board though of the same colour as the rub
rail. It will have to do for the time being.
Has anyone found anyone, anywhere ,who can repair a hole in an Amel deck so
that the end result doesnt jump out at you?
Don´t normally complain about too much sun.......Ian and Judy Jenkins,
Pen Azen, SM 302, Piriapolis, Uruguay.
,

Yahoo! Groups Links