Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Atlantic Crossing

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

Just be aware of the accelarating zones that can make a passage between the islands a hell. We had our so far worst sailing from Teneriff to Gran Canaria, eventhough we used all info in the Imray pilot and all tips we got from other sailors.

We anchored a lot on Gran Canaria, nice remote anchorages but no shelter at all for winds from the south quadrant.
Agree with Ocean Hobo La Gomera and San Sebastian is well worth a visit. In the sound between Teneriff an La Gomera, in the mornings before lunch. You can see a lot of resting whales and can come quite close to them.

I don't know but I belive that it can be easier to get the Visa extended in the Canaries then at the mainland. Because they are pretty shure that you have come there because your leaving for CV or Caribbean.

Regards
Ann-Sofie
Lady Annila, SM 232

Skickat från min iPad

12 nov 2014 kl. 11:41 skrev "Ian parkianj@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>:

Bill,
www.sunbeat2.co.uk/2013  is our blog site. Photos and descriptions on there of our trip down and through Canaries.

Ian

On 12 Nov 2014, at 12:59, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ian,

That is good to know...BUT...

Do you happen to know how strict the officials are regarding Schengen? As Americans we are limited to 90 days in Schengen total area, then have to leave for 90 days. 

I would be very interested in how Americans have dealt with this issue there. In years past the officials there did not really care.

Also, I have heard that it is strictly marinas and no anchoring...how true is that?

We are going to cross with Jimmy Cornell's Atlantic Odyssey departing La Palma, Canaries in Jan 2016.

Bill
BeBe, 387

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Ian parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi, have been cruising Canaries since September. 
If you haven't been round the islands you will miss out by leaving direct from Las Palmas. There are some great places to visit. Talking to other folks here who have been to CV there are some great places to visit there too, but you have to like anchoring.
Agree, ARC leaves too soon. Anyway, all the Caribbean anchorages will be clear of ARC boats by the time we arrive mid January.
Ocean Hobo has AIS transponder, so easy to find. She's in Garchico, N. Tenerife. New marina, v good, excellent security but no shore side facilities yet -€15 a night for our Santorin. We're visiting UK for a couple of weeks waiting for new grandchild to arrive, back on 23rd. 
Maybe see you then?

Ian & Linda. Ocean Hobo

On 12 Nov 2014, at 12:07, "Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Herbert,  

Not averse to that but from my readings, CV is not very interesting…. but Chantal is very interested by going to the CV… stay tuned. (Compromise….) :-)

We can avoid CV and achieve good speed by tracking 235 for a few days then heading 270 directly to the Caribbean.  Leaving Canaries about 1 week after ARC… they go too early in my opinion.

Eleuthera is in refit in Turkey; I understand yours is also being modernised…?  Where?

I see your email and will send you a quick personal contact.  

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera SM007

On 12 Nov 2014, at 12:01, 'Herbert Lackner' herbert@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Jean-Pierre,

we plan to leave the canaries also in November 2015, but eventually sail via the cape verdes 

Herbert

KALI MERA, SN 120

Von: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 12. November 2014 12:39
An: amelyachtowners@...
Betreff: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel 54, LONESTAR wins

Hello Everyone,

All kidding aside… if any forumites envisage a Transat in Nov 15… let me know.  I’ll try to arrange an Amel Transat.

Annsofie placed the bar very high; I’ll see by how much I can beat it… :-)

For Peter: still very interested in Onan course.

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera SM007

On 12 Nov 2014, at 11:09, Peter Forbes ppsforbes@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Wow - Annsofie 15 days las Palmas to Antigua - that’s fast. Did you have a parasail or twin pole headsails? - I only have one pole so I will have to sail downwind with poled out Genoa and Gennaker the other side.

Peter

Peter Forbes

Carango  Sailing Ketch

Amel 54 #035

Gouvia Marina - CORFU, Greece

On 12 Nov 2014, at 10:57, Ann-Sofie Svanberg kanalmamman@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Our 15 days from LasPalmas to Antigua is something to try to beat!  :) :)

/Annsofie

SM 232 Lady Annila

Skickat från min iPad

12 nov 2014 kl. 06:53 skrev "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>:

Peter,

Jean Pierre has a SM attitude! Unfortunately, attitude does not usually make up for waterline deficiencies.

Bill

BeBe 387

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Peter Forbes ppsforbes@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Jean Pierre,

I am already subscribed to the ARC so I’m afraid it is too late to change for me.

Faster - Hmmmm!!!!

Still waiting for our Onan course dates - will keep you posted if i hear first.

Peter

Peter Forbes

Carango  Sailing Ketch

Amel 54 #035

Gouvia Marina - CORFU, Greece

On 12 Nov 2014, at 07:53, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Peter,

I will be going Transat in Nov 15 from southern Canaries.  Not in ARC though.  If you have not paid your entry fee yet, we could perhaps go together.  I’d give you a couple of days lead time as my boat will be far faster than yours.  

Others may want to join us???  

“Go fast” antifouling does it every time.  :-)

Jean-Pierre Germain

Eleuthera SM 007

On 12 Nov 2014, at 07:31, Peter Forbes ppsforbes@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

There is hope for Carango across the pond then - we'll give it our best.

Is anyone else in Amel in ARC 2015?

Peter Forbes

00447836 209730

Carango 

Amel 54 #035

Corfu Greece

On 12 Nov 2014, at 07:11, yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Our friend,  fellow Texan, and owner of an Amel 54, LONESTAR, beat all of the boats in the Caribbean 1500 except for a Cookson 80' sailboat.

But, Amels don't race, we save that for the Oyster owners...they need to get something for thier money. Unfortunately, Craig was about a day ahead of an Oyster 54, giving no mercy to the Oyster. Oh, and Craig beat the Sundeer 60.

Way to go, Craig Scott. BTHOC1500 (it is an aggie thing)

Bill

BeBe #387

Posted by: Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@...

Reply via web post

Reply to sender 

Reply to group 

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic (2)

Jean-Pierre Germain,
Chief Pilot, Cozuro Limited,
+44 7551 211 511
jp.germain@...
jp.germain@...

Jean-Pierre Germain,
Chief Pilot, Cozuro Limited,
+44 7551 211 511
jp.germain@...
jp.germain@...

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.