Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Atlantic Crossing

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

Just be aware of the accelarating zones that can make a passage between the islands a hell. We had our so far worst sailing from Teneriff to Gran Canaria, eventhough we used all info in the Imray pilot and all tips we got from other sailors.

We anchored a lot on Gran Canaria, nice remote anchorages but no shelter at all for winds from the south quadrant.
Agree with Ocean Hobo La Gomera and San Sebastian is well worth a visit. In the sound between Teneriff an La Gomera, in the mornings before lunch. You can see a lot of resting whales and can come quite close to them.

I don't know but I belive that it can be easier to get the Visa extended in the Canaries then at the mainland. Because they are pretty shure that you have come there because your leaving for CV or Caribbean.

Regards
Ann-Sofie
Lady Annila, SM 232

Skickat från min iPad

12 nov 2014 kl. 11:41 skrev "Ian parkianj@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>:

Bill,
www.sunbeat2.co.uk/2013  is our blog site. Photos and descriptions on there of our trip down and through Canaries.

Ian

On 12 Nov 2014, at 12:59, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ian,

That is good to know...BUT...

Do you happen to know how strict the officials are regarding Schengen? As Americans we are limited to 90 days in Schengen total area, then have to leave for 90 days.

I would be very interested in how Americans have dealt with this issue there. In years past the officials there did not really care.

Also, I have heard that it is strictly marinas and no anchoring...how true is that?

We are going to cross with Jimmy Cornell's Atlantic Odyssey departing La Palma, Canaries in Jan 2016.

Bill
BeBe, 387

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Ian parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi, have been cruising Canaries since September.
If you haven't been round the islands you will miss out by leaving direct from Las Palmas. There are some great places to visit. Talking to other folks here who have been to CV there are some great places to visit there too, but you have to like anchoring.
Agree, ARC leaves too soon. Anyway, all the Caribbean anchorages will be clear of ARC boats by the time we arrive mid January.
Ocean Hobo has AIS transponder, so easy to find. She's in Garchico, N. Tenerife. New marina, v good, excellent security but no shore side facilities yet -€15 a night for our Santorin. We're visiting UK for a couple of weeks waiting for new grandchild to arrive, back on 23rd.
Maybe see you then?

Ian & Linda. Ocean Hobo

On 12 Nov 2014, at 12:07, "Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Herbert,

Not averse to that but from my readings, CV is not very interesting…. but Chantal is very interested by going to the CV… stay tuned. (Compromise….) :-)

We can avoid CV and achieve good speed by tracking 235 for a few days then heading 270 directly to the Caribbean.  Leaving Canaries about 1 week after ARC… they go too early in my opinion.

Eleuthera is in refit in Turkey; I understand yours is also being modernised…?  Where?

I see your email and will send you a quick personal contact.

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera SM007

On 12 Nov 2014, at 12:01, 'Herbert Lackner' herbert@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Jean-Pierre,

we plan to leave the canaries also in November 2015, but eventually sail via the cape verdes

Herbert

KALI MERA, SN 120