Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Low House Battery

Mark Erdos

Colin,

The breakers for the bow thruster and winches were left on. However, the main big battery levers at the mid ships bank were turned off. There should not have been anything connected.

Bill,

Will the battery checker thing you told me to buy be able to tell me if there is a short? If not, how do I check?

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Monday, November 17, 2014 3:49 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Low House Battery

Mark

Interesting, we often leave our boat unattended for 4 - 6 weeks at a time, also never plugged in to mains power. Each time we ensure a full charge ie 100% and 25.7+ volts, as well as checking the meter that 0.0 outgoing volts before locking up and leaving the boat. After 6 weeks there is a very small drop in volts ... to about 24.8 volts but never any lower. Based on this you must be losing power somewhere in the system for it to drop that low, but will need some investigation to find out where. Were all your bowthruster switches off in the front cabin and the electronics switches on the RHS of the nav station?

Colin Streeter

Island Pearl II, SM#332,

Newport, QLD Australia

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 1:11 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We just returned to Cream Puff after she sat for about 8 weeks. We are moving onto the boat full time ~ yey! We replaced all house batteries earlier this year. When we leave the boat (we have never left her this long) we turn off everything. We disconnect shore power and turn off the battery main levers.

The house battery bank was very low. We only had 17.3 volts.

Is there anything that runs if the main levers are in the off position? I assume not (other than the link battery monitor)

I plan to check them with a battery checker thing once they have charged overnight.

I know only enough to understand deep discharges are not good for batteries. How concerned should I be about the condition of the batteries?

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

--

Colin Streeter

0411 016 445

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.