Re: Main Sail Roller Battens

Dave_Benjamin

Jose,

He and I are both sailmakers but he's a third generation sailmaker and older than I am. His experience was that the battens ended up breaking and causing damage to the sail if I recall correctly. Those roller battens have been around for quite some time and every sailmaker I've spoken to that tried them had issues.

One tip I can offer is this. If you don't see sailmakers using a product on their own boat, don't use it on yours.

And if you want battens, there's several on this forum who have used vertical battens in the leech without a problem. Most of the problems I see with furling mainsail battens are on common production boats that use inexpensive spars. The Amel mast is much better engineered.