Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Painting deck stripes - pictures

john martin <symoondog@...>

Eric and others, The American equivalent of polytrol is Penetrol, it can be bought in any big paint store,not home depot or Lowes.It is used to thin paint, but if you read the label it will tell you it restores fiberglass. It really works great on the faux teak decks and the whole job can be done in an hour. It doesn't work as well on the smooth fiberglass. For a really old Amel with decks beyond repair their is a product called marine deck 2000. Look it up on google. Its an absolutley fabulous material made of cork of all things. It looks exactly like teak decking and can be used inside or out. I just put a cork floor in my kitchen and I really like it. Once your deck is looking like new, buy a pint of 100% grain alcohol and an ear syringe . Next time you land a big fish on deck squirt a couple of onces into his gills and he will die in seconds.```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````John SM 248 Moondog````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

From: eric <kimberlite@optonline.net>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Painting deck stripes - pictures
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:05:30 -0500

Roy,
Where did you get polytrol?
Fair Winds,
Eric
Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

-----Original Message-----
From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of rbenven44
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 7:01 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

Hi,
Following the advice posted here by Harmonie a couple of years ago,
we painted the deck stripes on Excalibur last November. Excalibur is 8
years old, and in need of deck attention (we probably scrub the decks
too much!!)
I have posted some pictures on this web site for those who want to
see what it looks like, (before and after). We are very pleased with
the results. We used the Embee striper, as recommended, and one-part
polyurethane paint (50% brown, 50% black). It took 6 days at 3 hours
per day for the decks, and 2 days for the cockpit. After letting the
paint dry for a few days, we coated all the surfaces with Polytrol, a
French product recommended by Mr. Selo at Amel. The decks look like
new. The picture of the re-painted forward deck areas show before-and-
after of applying Polytrol.
Any questions on how to do this, please contact me.

Regards, Roy on Excalibur SM#195

Yahoo! Groups Links