some questions

Mark Pitt

In preparing my ASM for a multi-year voyage next year, I am hoping
that other owners can offer me advice on a number of issues:

1. My wife an I will need to look out for coral heads when entering
South Pacific islands. What is the best way to get a few feet above
the deck in order to have better visibility? Are mast steps up 10
feet or so a good way to get the needed visibility? Do foldable mast
steps pose any structural or safety issue with the Amel main mast?
Are rat lines a good option?

2. Another way to spot coral heads is to install sonar. The
transducers seem very large for most forward looking sonars such as
EchoPilot and Interphase? What do these transducer do to sailing
performance on the Amel Super Maramu? Are the sonars practically
useful for finding one's way in coral fringed islands?

3. I would like to add some fuel capacity for ocean crossing. I am
thinking about strapping a 100 gallon bladder tank to the roof aft of
the mizzen. Once across the ocean, I would roll the tank up and store
it in a locker. Has anyone had any experience with bladder tanks
(such as those made by ATL or Nauta)? Is there some reason that this
would be a bad idea? Would there ne a lot of fuel sloshing noise?

4. Has anyone used AGM batteries in an ASM? Is there any issue with
charge regulation with AGMs in a newer (2003) ASM?

Mark
"Sabbatical III" ASM #419