Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel 54 Bow thruster

Beaute Olivier

Good evening Tony,

the symptom for replacing the foam seals is that you see water coming in around the shaft tube on top of the box where the lower part (gear-box and propellers) slides up and down. This may happen only while sailing because the hole is located 10 cm above water line.
There is one seal on top of the box and one or two seals underneath.

You should change the oil of the gearbox every two years. The drain plug is located at the bottom of the gear-box (access from outside, after removing one prop). Should the oil show mayonnaise (mix of oil and water), you should replace the propeller output shafts lipseals. The oil filling from the top of the container is very slow. Some mechanics will find a way to inject oil from the bottom drain plug....

You should also check the magnetic sensors of the lifting strut. Are they tight? Are their connections OK? Check also the connections on the big solenoid switches, they may get loose because if vibrations.

Bon courage.

Olivier BEAUTE.

On Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:04 PM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Tony,
Kent' description was for maintenance of a Super Maramu bow thruster... Your maintenance will be different for a 54.
Can a 54 owner add to this?
Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet
On Dec 11, 2014 2:24 AM, "Tony Robinson tonywrobinson51@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Many thanks Kent - your points are well taken.

Tony.