Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Outhaul gearbox rebuild

Mike Ondra

The idea of oil for the gear box is appealing. Other gear boxes on the Amel
are oil (bow thruster, windlass, c-drive). On the other hand, it would seem
the furling and outhaul gear boxes come greased, not oiled, indicating the
manufacturer's preference. Googling the topic, this seems to be an ongoing
debate in the realm of machinery lubrication.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/923/grease-oil

Although varying from the original grease solution is somewhat
uncomfortable, our tendency is to try the oil approach after the rebuild.
Worst case scenario is a drip and then to redo the lubrication with grease.

This will rely upon the 3 lipseals and the very thin o-ring on the end cap
of the worm drive for containing the oil. The last step in the reassembly
process would be the worm drive endcap after filling the gear box with gear
oil at least half full so that all the moving parts are half submerged. Not
sure if thermal expansion of the oil would create pressure and push oil past
the seals, but perhaps this is minor and absorbed by the air cushion.

Thoughtful comments are appreciated. Should we execute this experiment, I
will later inform the forum of the results.

Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year to all.

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240