Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Super Maramu Jib Furling Specs Summary:

karkauai

Merci beaucoup for the history lesson, Olivier.  As usual, Mssr Amel had a good reason for the L hand turnbuckles (can we assume he was right-handed?).  So now it's a matter of each owner deciding if that advantage is worth the extra cost.  That choice should not influence resale value.

Thanks again,
Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Dec 28, 2014, at 8:58 AM, Beaute Olivier atlanticyachtsurvey@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good afternoon,

when AMEL decided to make their own masts, they worked together with NIRVANA.
When NIRVANA went bankrupt, AMEL decided to supervise the whole process:
-have alu profiles made in switzerland
-have the profiles worked out and welded from a subcontractor in La Rochelle
-have the masts painted at another subcontractor's in La Rochelle
-equip the masts at the shipyard with AMEL own designed furlers
-rig the masts with shrouds available on the market

The first suppliers were SARMA, a cable manufacturer that worked mainly for aircrafts. SARMA was used to make left hand turnbuckles and there was no question from AMEL against that.
The last Mangos, Sharkis and Maramus were rigged with SARMA products.
The first SMs (1989) were rigged with SARMA products, but the first SANTORINS were rigged with ACMO and SOROMAP products.
When AMEL asked ACMO and SOROMAP to make riggings, they wanted to have left hand turnbuckles, to avoid having both kinds.
When SARMA stopped supplying AMEL, AMEL asked ACMO to make the SM riggings, according to the same standards, which means here left hand turnbuckles.

A little pause: For someone who has already set a rigging on a Super Maramu (I did), and who is right handed (I am), it is easier to do on a left hand turn buckle (why???).
Indeed, you hold the cable terminal with a wrench with your left hand, and you turn the buckle with your right hand with a second wrench, and you move it out of the buckle to take it on the other half, and you turn, and you etc...
And it is easier to apply a big force towards your body, than outwards.
When, later on, I had to set riggings with right hand turn buckles, I first pushed hard outwards with my right hand, and eventually, I started to use my left hand (holding tight the cable's terminal with my right hand and turn the buckle with my left hand).

Back to the story:
Around 2004, I don't remember exactly, AMEL realized that ACMO made left hand turnbuckles almost only for them, and that a right hand turnbuckle would be cheaper. AMEL then installed right hand turnbuckles.

When you change your standing rigging, you may not want to change the turnbuckles because they are easier to inspect than the Inside of the swages. If you have a left hand system, keep it and specify this when you order.
However, it may be good to replace the turnbuckles too: after a dismasting, for instance after a collision that broke one turnbuckle (and dismasting), the surveyor (if he's good) will notice that the turnbuckles are older than the replaced rigging, and the insurers may refuse compensation.

Conclusion:
there is no specific reason why AMEL had left hand turnbuckles, and now right hand ones (except cost cuts).
You may replace your left hand rigging with a right hand one.

The 2004/2005 SM owners will tell us which hull number has a right hand system and which has a left one...

Best wishes for the end of this year!!

Olivier BEAUTE