Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Diesel Hose

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

HNY… though your start is ominous.

IIWM… I would change the innards of the bilge pump; its doubtful diesel fuel did it any good.

See what others say…

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera SM007

On 1 Jan 2015, at 13:23, derickgates@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

When I returned to the boat after 6 months of hurricane storage in Antigua, I found a large oil stain on the ground opposite the bilge pump outlet, which I had left on in automatic mode.  Turns out that the diesel hose running from the dual Racor filters to the engine had ruptured (it looked like mush) and drained the main fuel tank into the bilge.

The previous owner had installed an aluminum auxilliary tank in the life raft locker and I had left that tank isolated by closed valves - so the 240 liters in that tank did not drain.  Lessons learned: 1. examine the state of all fuel lines and replace before they rupture and 2. turn off the valve to the main tank (and the return line) before leaving the boat for along time.

Hope you all have fair winds and smooth sailing in 2015!

Derick Gates

Back aboard Brava SM2K #400

Leaving Antigua for St. Maarten, the BVI and eventually St Thomas

Posted by: derickgates@...