After Market Service

karkauai

Sorry that I misquoted you, Bill.  Someone on this forum expressed some concern about Amel's financial state a few months back.  I assumed wrongly that's why you asked me to find out the source info for the drive.

There's also a recurring theme here about the frustration many have with slow or no response from SAV.  I have been waiting for six months since my drive arrived in Hyeres, mostly without any communication including response to my questions.  It would be nice if I could have or still could speak with the people who inspected the drive if Amel is not going to be responsive.

Perhaps I should write a letter to the Amel Administration telling them about my experience.  I would hesitate to tell them about the recurring theme of unresponsiveness expressed here for fear of misquoting or overstating something that didn't represent the views of the group as a whole. I do think that Amel's reputation as one of the best boatbuilders out there for aftermarket service has become somewhat tarnished over the last few years.

Again, Hapoy New Year to all.
Steady as she goes.
Kent

On Jan 1, 2015, at 11:08 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

I would never, ever use those words about Amel. I have absolutely no reason to believe that we have anything to worry about, and I am certainly in no position to know, or have any information.

During last 20 years of my working life I managed turnarounds and crisis management for numerous companies, and I always think in worse-case scenarios. Check your email...what I wrote was, "If anything would ever happen to Amel, we would have a problem."

I believe in redundancy, much like Mr. Amel. I doubt that he would ever position himself without alternatives. At the same time it is important for Amel to keep some sources and suppliers confidential. As owners we are at cross-purposes with the builder because we desire the security of having more than one source for problem resolution. If, for instance, Amel would choose to change their quality and time of response to our after sale requests (SAV), and/or their resale pricing of those parts and services, it would be to our benefit to go direct to Amel's supplier. However, our move in going direct, would be detrimental to Amel's profit...and in many cases that profit is due to them because Amel performed the R&D.

So, all of that said, I am certainly satisfied with SAV and believe that we should support them, which supports Amel. If you look at my past posts I always suggest sourcing parts from Amel vs some other method, and I usually warn against "other methods." I happen to be one of the few owners that ordered a new bimini cover from Amel. I also have more spares on BeBe than most other owners because I believe in being prepared for any contingency.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Jan 1, 2015 7:09 AM, "karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill asked if I would get the name of the company that built the C Drive for Amel...in case at some point Amel was no longer in business.  I asked Maud for the name of the company and contact information so I could contact them directly to ask what they thought caused the damage to my prop shaft and what the problem was that made the drive unrepairable.

She politely told me that "It is not possible to contact the company that worked on your old C-drive directly but as previously explained the play in the bearing support was too important."

Soooo, it sounds like they don't want us to be dealing directly with the machine shop that builds the Cdrive.
I'm sure that if Amel went out of business, Joel or Olivier would help us contact them.

I would like to know in more detail about the problem with the "bearing support", and if that was in any way related to the electrolytic damage (ie was there damage to the bearing as well?)

Kent
SM243
Kristy