Autopilot brushes

John and Anne on Bali Hai <hollamby@...>

Hello Robin,
I do not know how old your Santorin is but I do know that the linear
drive that I bought about 14 or 15 years ago was made by a British
company called Klaxon in Luton (I guess they used to make car hooters
about 80 years ago). By 1997 or 8 when the brushes went
Raymarine/Autohelm had switched to another manufacturer...we were in
Fiji and Raymarine UK told me that they had switched but failed to
give me an address or fax no. You could try contacting Raymarine UK
giving them the serial no of your drive and ask them for all the
contact details. You should also open up the end of the drive to see
whether the gears are metal or plastic as the latter have a life of
about 12-15,000 miles and are a vital spare...they used to cost £12.50
for the plastic and £125.00 for the metal ones now used by Amel.
Let us know how you get on.

Good luck, Anne and John, SM319