Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] After Market Service

Ian Park

Eric
Thank you. I'll get details off internet before we leave here!
Less embarrassing to arrive at correct island!
Ian

On 1 Jan 2015, at 21:03, "sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I thought Amel service moved to Martinique.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite SM 376

Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2015 5:00 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] After Market Service

Hi 

We were at Amel, La Rochelle, in July. August - French national holidays around the corner. Amel were flat out preparing new boats for owner delivery/collection and preparing boats for Cannes Boat Show. Most employees were production/service side. The office staff are in comparison minimal. They probably have the employee balance right to compete in the high end competitive market Amel are in.  It just means that we don't have access to a large team of after sales support we might like.  

In our 18 month ownership of an Amel we have been to both Hyeres and La Rochelle and found the support to be first class within the capacity of the number of folk available. We a are en route shortly from Cape Verde and will be visiting Amel Guadaloupe. I am guessing we will find the same there. 

Yes, it can be frustrating during busy times,  but we can't say anything other than they bend over backwards to be helpful.

If, like most British boatbuilders, they vanished from the market, then I think we would all lose something.

So, I agree, keep supporting them.....

Ian & Linda SN 96 'Ocean Hobo'

On 1 Jan 2015, at 16:37, Andrew Lamb andrew.lamb@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

In my limited 2 year experience of Amel SAV I have found it to be generally very good with around 6 interactions. However I did get a bit frustrated with my last interaction in July last year when I tried to get a replacement motor for the bow thruster linear actuator - I ended up googling the manufacturer and contacting them directly, when I had been sent the wrong part by Amel. I think around this time a number of others also had issues. This may have just been a temporary issue - I hope so as I think that a strong SAV will be beneficial to both Amel and Amel owners.

Andrew

SM472

Canet en Roussillon

On 1 Jan 2015, at 18:02, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Sorry that I misquoted you, Bill.  Someone on this forum expressed some concern about Amel's financial state a few months back.  I assumed wrongly that's why you asked me to find out the source info for the drive.

There's also a recurring theme here about the frustration many have with slow or no response from SAV.  I have been waiting for six months since my drive arrived in Hyeres, mostly without any communication including response to my questions.  It would be nice if I could have or still could speak with the people who inspected the drive if Amel is not going to be responsive.

Perhaps I should write a letter to the Amel Administration telling them about my experience.  I would hesitate to tell them about the recurring theme of unresponsiveness expressed here for fear of misquoting or overstating something that didn't represent the views of the group as a whole. I do think that Amel's reputation as one of the best boatbuilders out there for aftermarket service has become somewhat tarnished over the last few years.

Again, Hapoy New Year to all.

Steady as she goes.

Kent

On Jan 1, 2015, at 11:08 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

I would never, ever use those words about Amel. I have absolutely no reason to believe that we have anything to worry about, and I am certainly in no position to know, or have any information.

During last 20 years of my working life I managed turnarounds and crisis management for numerous companies, and I always think in worse-case scenarios. Check your email...what I wrote was, "If anything would ever happen to Amel, we would have a problem."

I believe in redundancy, much like Mr. Amel. I doubt that he would ever position himself without alternatives. At the same time it is important for Amel to keep some sources and suppliers confidential. As owners we are at cross-purposes with the builder because we desire the security of having more than one source for problem resolution. If, for instance, Amel would choose to change their quality and time of response to our after sale requests (SAV), and/or their resale pricing of those parts and services, it would be to our benefit to go direct to Amel's supplier. However, our move in going direct, would be detrimental to Amel's profit...and in many cases that profit is due to them because Amel performed the R&D.

So, all of that said, I am certainly satisfied with SAV and believe that we should support them, which supports Amel. If you look at my past posts I always suggest sourcing parts from Amel vs some other method, and I usually warn against "other methods." I happen to be one of the few owners that ordered a new bimini cover from Amel. I also have more spares on BeBe than most other owners because I believe in being prepared for any contingency.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Jan 1, 2015 7:09 AM, "karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill asked if I would get the name of the company that built the C Drive for Amel...in case at some point Amel was no longer in business.  I asked Maud for the name of the company and contact information so I could contact them directly to ask what they thought caused the damage to my prop shaft and what the problem was that made the drive unrepairable.

She politely told me that "It is not possible to contact the company that worked on your old C-drive directly but as previously explained the play in the bearing support was too important."

Soooo, it sounds like they don't want us to be dealing directly with the machine shop that builds the Cdrive.
I'm sure that if Amel went out of business, Joel or Olivier would help us contact them.

I would like to know in more detail about the problem with the "bearing support", and if that was in any way related to the electrolytic damage (ie was there damage to the bearing as well?)

Kent
SM243
Kristy

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.