Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Super Maramu Rigging tension

TERENCE SINGH <terencesingh@...>

Thank you Craig, I will study, digest and re-tension accordingly and report my experience.

On Jan 4, 2015, at 8:14 AM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Terry and Dena,

There are a lot of good tuning guides on the internet - here's one from Selden Masts I particularly like and that you may want to look at: www dot riggingandsails dot com slash pdf slash selden dash tuning dot pdf. : http://www.riggingandsails.com/pdf/selden-tuning.pdf

On pg 28 they give a good method to tension the stays to 15 to 20% of their breaking strength using a simple measuring stick rather than a costly gauge. That's the "really tight" that you want and it is not subjective, which is what I suspect Dena is concerned with - I agree.  After you tension them correctly with that technique, it's easy to get the "feel" for that proper tension by hand for future checks and re-tensioning.

Cheers,
Craig Briggs, SN#68 Sangaris