Volvo Gear box--Question

My Volvo has now done just under 2000 hours. Having heard of another SM whose coupling between the gearbox and the Amel leg worked loose I was checking mine manually, with the engine obviously stopped.The coupling ,the circular green /stainless ring, was completely firm. However, I noticed some play in my gearbox and ask if this is to be expected.
The way the play shows itself is that when I turn the coupling with my hand ( whether in gear ahead or astern) the outside diameter of the green part moves about one centimeter before the gearbox engages, with a slight klonk . It may be that this is the normal play in the gearbox but I am not aware of having experienced it before. Anyone know the answer?
As luck would have it our next port in Brazil is Santos, not everyones choice of a cruising destination, but the one Brazilian I knew from before our arrival here has had the Volvo Penta agency for Brazil for the last 25 years, so I guess he will know the answer if noone else does.
Fair winds, Ian and Judy Jenkins, Pen Azen, SM 302, Paranagua, Brazil