Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel drive leaking at propeller shaft, SM 116,

john martin <symoondog@...>

Rudi, No problem! Mine did the same thing and I didn't change the bearings until 4 months later. If you visited the factory in France you would have seen the cutout of the gears in the propeller drive,they are really well built. Hell, I drove a ford with a v8 engine and a cracked block for 6 months. I had to add water to the radiator every week,and change the oil once a month because the oil-water mix would be way up on the dip stick. I would think in your case that a little water is leaking in,but not much because it hasn't risen much in the overflow so it must be very little. If you were losing oil, then the problem would be easier,just keep adding oil.

John 'Moondog' SM248
From: "rudi_zel" <rudolf.zelenka@chello.at>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel drive leaking at propeller shaft, SM 116,
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 07:22:02 -0000

I get water into the Amel drive at the shaft seal near the propeller.
As I am now in a position where I can not take the boat out of the
water (Bocas del Toro, Panama)I am looking for advise. The overflow
container shows white oil (sort of mayonese), but the level did not
rise much (yet). Will the Amel drive survive another 40 hrs?
Rudi Zelenka,