Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel drive leaking at propeller shaft, SM 116,

Ian Shepherd <ocean53@...>

Hello Rudi,

My sympathies regarding your situation. It happened to me after 550 hours on
my first SM and although the replacement of the bush and seals was a
straight forward job to do (once the propeller comes off!), it was
inconvenient at the time and cost over $300 for a lunch break haul out. I
was given 1 hour to complete the job whilst the boat rested in the
Travelhoist slings!

I have heard that you can improve the life of the bushing by making it out
of a different material to bronze. I have heard ceramic mentioned by one
owner, but it might prove too expensive. Last summer I met a very
knowledgeable German owner who was about to have the bush made undersize in
stainless steel then chromed to fit. The chrome will provide a much longer
lasting surface for the lip seals, and will also prevent corrosion of the
stainless due to lack of oxygen below the water line. Double lipped seals
will be used and three Alan screws used instead of two to help obtain better
alignment. He reckons the bush will last three times as long, and recommends
a Molyslip additive to the oil in view of the fact that you may not be able
to change the oil as often.

He is having one made for me also. I guess it will be several years before I
will be able to tell you if it works or not! Has anyone else tried this?

Due to a change of plans, I did not visit Rod Boreham to talk about
Dessalator water makers as planned. Has anyone heard back from him? I seem
to remember he had promised to write to this forum.

Finally, I have heard that mixing antibiotics with anti fouling greatly
increases the life of its growth repellent properties. Has anyone tried this
please? Did it work?

Regards

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 'Crusader'